Question About Lack of Materials

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
ieatfish

Question About Lack of Materials

Post by ieatfish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:58 pm

I've noticed in our material library, there are not many materials. One might look and decide that there are plenty but in reality, there aren't many compared to the amount available for many rendering programs. I know many of you have created your own materials and they look stunning. I just think of the brushed metal materials, we have 3. Two don't look like I want them to and one doesn't work for my model in blendigo (the shader one, weird geometry artifacts). I could tweak them to my liking but I don't know how the original authors would feel if I re-uploaded them as a different material. But there is room for TONS of new brushed materials and yet there are only 3.

So my question is just wondering why people don't upload more of their materials? Just curious to what you people think.

I have thought of these (valid :p) reasons so far:
1) Copyrighted textures, etc.
2) You put too much hard work into it to just give it out.
3) It is property of the company you work for.
4) You don't think it is refined enough
5) There is one similar enough.

I'm still learning when it comes to materials but I hope someday I'll make one that will be worthy of the material database (haven't made any so far :shock: ).
Intel Core-i7 @ 4.0 GHz | GTX 580 | 12 GB RAM

Jambert
Indigo 100

Re: Question About Lack of Materials

Post by Jambert » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 pm

I started my own library soon, it's usefull. I work with copyrighted texture so I can't share. But there is something all people can do, use shared materials as exemple. If you get a realy specific request, ask forum and you'll have your answer :)

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:01 pm

ieatfish wrote:1) Copyrighted textures, etc.
This seems the biggest reason... for me at last!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:33 am

For me, number 1) and number 4).
I must also say that I rarely use matDB materials, so I seldom think to upload something to the DB..

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:40 am

Haven't bothered to. Unfortunately, exporting and uploading materials I use on a scene is at the bottom of my priority list when I work. That said, I'm still hoping to contribute with some materials, even though I've got nothing really refined or optimized...

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:46 am

That makes sense. I think if the material database was more integrated into the exporters, it would be easier to use them. Time to hit up the Skindigo suggestion thread. :D

Soup

Post by Soup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 am

Yes it would be awesome to have more materials.
Perhaps re: copywrited textures - Upload without the texture and just link to the texture site? It's a little bit weird but the only practical way around it I guess.
It also takes some time to render the material previews I've noticed, would it help to host a server that would render previews for the matDB?

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:27 am

Soup wrote:It also takes some time to render the material previews I've noticed, would it help to host a server that would render previews for the matDB?
Already requested 5480534 times... ask fused about it :lol:

Schosch
1st Place Winner

Post by Schosch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:22 am

ieatfish wrote:Two don't look like I want them to and one doesn't work for my model in blendigo (the shader one, weird geometry artifacts).
There should be no distortion if your object's UV maps are set up correctly. Could you post a render/screenshot?

ieatfish

Post by ieatfish » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 am

Schosch wrote:
ieatfish wrote:Two don't look like I want them to and one doesn't work for my model in blendigo (the shader one, weird geometry artifacts).
There should be no distortion if your object's UV maps are set up correctly. Could you post a render/screenshot?
I made a thread about it here:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=8191

It happens with any model with curves like that. Try this and tell me what your results are, if you would:

1) make a flat face and give it thickness
2) Apply a material in sketchup
3) Download and import the brushed aluminum material (http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/73)
4) Render it. You should have a nice block of aluminum.
5) Then just draw a circle on one of the faces and render that section again. You don't even need to make it penetrate the surface, just a 2D circle on the face.

When I do that, I get the weird subdivision. What do you mean about setting a UV map? I import the material and apply it to the surface.

11 posts • Page 1 of 1