Layered Skin

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
CTZn

Re: Layered Skin

Post by CTZn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:42 am

Zom-B, your mesh is open, that can be a problem for a volume.

And, skin is not even 1cm deep. Muscles and the faschia wrapping them are pretty opaque. My advice is to duplicate the mesh and apply it a grey diffuse with an uniform, negative displacement (~ -4mm ?) to figure the light-blocking mass.

Nice tests all !
obsolete asset

Meelis

Post by Meelis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:46 am

pixie wrote:What a nice couple she has! :twisted:
Doesn't it just make u wanna grab them. :D

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:01 am

Realy great work all :shock:
ZomB, how did you make hairs...mesh with blended material?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:18 am

Here is a image of the map I used as absorption layer. Its simply the diffuse color map (brightened up a little).
The whole mesh + textures is a example scene in C4D for BodyPaint:
wescolor.jpg
wescolor.jpg (25.4 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
CTZn wrote:Zom-B, your mesh is open, that can be a problem for a volume.
I had the same issues with simple closed "testboxes" of flesh...
CTZn wrote:And, skin is not even 1cm deep. Muscles and the faschia wrapping them are pretty opaque. My advice is to duplicate the mesh and apply it a grey diffuse with an uniform, negative displacement (~ -4mm ?) to figure the light-blocking mass.
Good point, that I totally forgot...

Anyway... I would prefer some more physical Model for skin like the existing one with Dermis+Epidermis in a 1 material setup (no need for 2 meshes!!). The results at the moment are quite promissing, but I realy would prefer a stand alone skin medium type for glossy transparent materials.

Finally I tried to blend a glossy transparent material with lower Scattering value (just 10%) with an Phong material (using the original more saturated color map). The result renders way faster and is also quite fine:
skin 2.jpg
skin 2.jpg (128.97 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
polygonmanufaktur.de

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:21 am

Nice test Whaat. The fingernails made out of flesh are slightly disturbing though :)

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:10 am

OnoSendai wrote:Nice test Whaat. The fingernails made out of flesh are slightly disturbing though :)
haha...true.

I updated the image on the previous page with one that has cooked longer. One thing that I've noticed is that for highly scattering media, if you let it render long enough, you begin to see facets even though normals are set to smooth. The model is using two levels of Indigo subdivision. Is this a bug or is the only way around it to use extremely high levels of subdivision?

@ZomB:
Can you try rendering that face at real scale with the latest skin material settings I posted? Or, just create the PIGS file and post it here so I can render it (If you don't want to tie up your system)

Thanks

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:55 am

A simple 10X multiplifcation of the absorption values and you get this....black and beautiful...
Attachments
dark_skin.jpg
dark_skin.jpg (51.91 KiB) Viewed 3220 times

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:08 am

Close-up of ear (light skin version)
Attachments
ear.jpg
ear.jpg (136.85 KiB) Viewed 3189 times

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 am

Whaat wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:Nice test Whaat. The fingernails made out of flesh are slightly disturbing though :)
haha...true.

I updated the image on the previous page with one that has cooked longer. One thing that I've noticed is that for highly scattering media, if you let it render long enough, you begin to see facets even though normals are set to smooth. The model is using two levels of Indigo subdivision. Is this a bug or is the only way around it to use extremely high levels of subdivision?

Thanks
I think it's a SSS issue/bug. I'm not sure if it's correct behaviour or not.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:59 pm

Reminds me of an issue I experienced with GI caustics in mental ray:

http://www.worldparallelftp.com//adam/m ... Shader.jpg

the answer I had was:
The funny thing is most people wouldn't get that banding with the default settings because they would only use 100k-200k caustic photons which means the result is heavily blurred. You are using 5 million photons (my type of render!) so the banding detail shows.
So, there were two work arounds for this case:

#1: Augment drastically the mesh resolution
#2: render with less convergence (less photons in this case)

This doesn't give us an answer about correctness tho...
Last edited by CTZn on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
obsolete asset

dougal2
Developer

Post by dougal2 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:56 pm

CTZn wrote:http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment. ... ntid=97071 hope you don't have to be logged in
yes :(

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks, fixed link above.
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:30 am

Whaat wrote:Can you try rendering that face at real scale with the latest skin material settings I posted? Or, just create the PIGS file and post it here so I can render it (If you don't want to tie up your system)
I finally found out where the problem is with my low samples per second. In your skin4.pigm you have a absorption spectrum with a rgb gain of around 10000% !
I always stayed in the 100% range, and by this the samples start do drop drastically... just try by yourself...

I never understood why there is a possibility to absorb more then 100% and also how a color can be more saturated than 100%... it makes no sense for me... even less in a physical based render engine!
The new absorption Layer is also quite confusing being used together with the absorption spectrum.

Here finally a image rendered with your settings of skin4.pigm. Only thing I changed was raising the exponent to 100 since I use a exponent map... I also didn't used the emission you use on your material.. why is there any??! I had to play around with the absorption Layer and desaturate it a lot, since my image was way to reddish... if you want the mesh & texture I can send you via pm Whaat?!
skin-test3.jpg
Drag & Drop this image to a new Browser TAB to see it in Full res!
skin-test3.jpg (217.38 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
polygonmanufaktur.de

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:01 am

ZomB wrote:
Whaat wrote:I never understood why there is a possibility to absorb more then 100% and also how a color can be more saturated than 100%... it makes no sense for me... even less in a physical based render engine!
Actually the % doesn't give the full meaning to what lays behind. Take the 10000% example you bring, if you load it in IME you'll see that i translates to 0.01m, meaning how much it will be absorbed into the material.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:42 pm

Looks pretty good, zomB (except for the eyes..)

I find it a bit tricky to use Abs Layer Trans as well. I think the key is to brighten the map a lot (near white) and then slightly darken and saturate the areas that you want the color to show through more (lips for example)

50 posts