Public alpha release of IndigoMax

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
ENSLAVER

Re: Public alpha release of IndigoMax

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 pm

A couple of things in case they have been missed or are not on your to-do list.

The exporting throws up a few errors now and then but that is understandable if there are SDK issues.

Materials on instances are locked to the 'parent'

Drop down menu for materials (Custom, diffuse, phong, etc) doesn't work properly: The box for the selected shader is ticked but none of the options become available until you set it back to custom and/or re-tick the box for "amount" on the selected shader.

Precedence can't be changed from 0, trying to do so makes the object render invisible, yet still has shadows. (could be useful lol)

Cool wood grain behaviour with default max light (see image).
Attachments
test1.jpg

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:51 pm

And some fun.
Attachments
fun.jpg

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:25 pm

It seems like some subtle bug in SDK. I'll report it to Glare.
Thanks for other bug reports I'll get to it asap.

Thank you for your time and patience,

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:55 pm

EXR (bitmap) environment crashes max.

Displacement has an issue: See images.
0-99 Small change
99-100 Very large change
101-1000 Small change
Also there is no simple way to add a negative shift in max, not sure what the best way to tackle that would be. Perhaps displacement could be further up in the material editor (not jsut a map) so you have more control over it, or a displacement modifier.
Attachments
Displacement _99.jpg
Displacement_100.jpg
Displacement_101.jpg

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey Enslaver,

I've uploaded IndigoMax 0.2.111, which address a couple of bugs. See: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 62#p114662
Fixed:
  • Materials on instances
  • Drop down menu in Indigo Material
  • Precedence and displacement setting in Indigo Material
I wasn't able to replicate crash on EXR background. Have you tried different EXRs, size, compression? Would exported scene render correctly?

I cannot fix "cool wood grain" since it's a matter of rendering algortihm, I could play with light size / intensity balance though. I'll look at this at some point.

About displacement shift I understand you mean a constant you'd like to have added/substracted from each pixel value, right? It's kind of bitmap manipulation that Indigo does not perform internally, as such I would stick to native Max workflows like setting RGB offset or Image Correction maps. They will become available with introduction of Indigo Texture map, which I'm working on.

Again thanks for feedback and all your help. Hope it helps,
Cheers,

dcm

Post by dcm » Tue May 01, 2012 2:40 am

export function is not working for me with latest version

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Tue May 01, 2012 3:35 am

subpixel wrote:Hey Enslaver,

I've uploaded IndigoMax 0.2.111, which address a couple of bugs. See: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 62#p114662
Fixed:
  • Materials on instances
  • Drop down menu in Indigo Material
  • Precedence and displacement setting in Indigo Material
I wasn't able to replicate crash on EXR background. Have you tried different EXRs, size, compression? Would exported scene render correctly?

I cannot fix "cool wood grain" since it's a matter of rendering algortihm, I could play with light size / intensity balance though. I'll look at this at some point.

About displacement shift I understand you mean a constant you'd like to have added/substracted from each pixel value, right? It's kind of bitmap manipulation that Indigo does not perform internally, as such I would stick to native Max workflows like setting RGB offset or Image Correction maps. They will become available with introduction of Indigo Texture map, which I'm working on.

Again thanks for feedback and all your help. Hope it helps,
Cheers,
Did you update the 2012 x64 file? It seems to be the same file, ie. same problems. I had already overwritten the file in my plugins folder before I thought about checking date/size.

Colour correcting the image in max seems like a good way to change the pixel values for displacement maps.

EXR: It crashes on export - I don't have a huge collection of EXR environments, but what I do have comes from many different sources. It doesn't seem to matter which one I choose, max crashes. Any image (even jpg/bmp) crashes max in the environment slot. To confirm, do you use the standard max bitmap map to load them?

I understand about the default light problem being a scale/distance issue.

dcm wrote:export function is not working for me with latest version
Export works for me, up to a point. When you get more than 1 type of object it exports but not correctly, as indigo throws up an error.

dcm

Post by dcm » Tue May 01, 2012 6:08 am

when i press render button, nothing happens. normal in-window rendering is working fine

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Tue May 01, 2012 11:46 pm

ENSLAVER wrote:Did you update the 2012 x64 file? It seems to be the same file, ie. same problems.
You were right, due to error in automatic archive creation file for 2012 was the same. Sorry about that. I've updated file already. Also I've fixed environment bug. Earlier, I was referring to EXR file set via Indigo Environment Map, now it also works with Bitmap and Spectrum Maps.
ENSLAVER wrote:When you get more than 1 type of object it exports but not correctly, as indigo throws up an error.
What do you mean with one type of object?
dcm wrote:when i press render button, nothing happens. normal in-window rendering is working fine
Did you setup export scene filename? Was it created successfully?

Thanks for your help,

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Wed May 02, 2012 12:14 am

All working now, thanks SubPixel, I will test more tomorrow!

re. the exporting issue, I believe you mentioned it was due to the SDK change..?

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 am

To avoid confusion I've removed additional versions and updated head post with newest, though using older SDK version. Sorry about mess.

ENSLAVER

Post by ENSLAVER » Thu May 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Some stuff I have noticed, not in any particular order. I know you have you probably have a list or priority changes before the small stuff gets done. This is mostly a list of things in case I forget them in the future =P

--Adding a camera will drastically change the brightness of the rendering.

EDIT: Disregard this part, these options come from maxigo, not indigomax. "Use Global Parameters" in the camera-indigo rollout doesn't seem to work properly. Also there is no EV adjustment in the camera-indigo rollout. Perhaps there should be a tonemapping options and motion blur options there as well. Also an autofocus checkbox.

--Disable rendering of lights chosen as sun node.
--Add nk data.
--Add import/link indigo materials.
--Blend texture checkbox ticked automatically when a texture is selected.
--Double watermarking (logo in bottom right + transparent tiled logos).
--Motion blur settings have no effect on the rendered motion blur.
--Apply materials to particles.
--Rendering particles with motion blur throws up an error. See image attached.

It would be useful to have the tonemapping settings in the camera rollout. Changing back and forth tabs can be a lot of extra clicking trying to adjust exposure time and EV to the desired result when rendering motion blur using camera tonemapping. Same problem when you are trying to adjust F-Stop vs EV to balance overall brightness using camera tonemapping. I am guessing it will be easier once interactive mode is activated.
Attachments
error1.jpg
Last edited by ENSLAVER on Fri May 04, 2012 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Fri May 04, 2012 1:16 am

Thank you Enslaver for your effort and help. Some of these bugs will need to wait a little longer.
I don't plan particle support, nor Indigo Material Database connection in first release candidate. Rest should be solved in next release.
Thank you as always,

dcm

Post by dcm » Sat May 26, 2012 9:01 am

any news ?

subpixel
Developer

Post by subpixel » Wed May 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Indeed, there's a new version being tested. I carries bugfixes for most of Enslavers bugs and some stability issues. Also it implements Indigo Texture for rendering on fly procedural maps as well format conversion, plus gives all controls Indigo exposes for texture. Right now I'm working on non-blocking rendering and tonemapping while rendering (within internal render). Also I've prepared version for max2013, however I'm waiting for updated Indigo SDK.
Next step will be implementation of interactive rendering, though it needs some additional changes to render tree.
I'll keep you informed.

172 posts