Grass Material

Announcements, requests and support regarding the 3DS MAX exporter
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
Otk

Grass Material

Post by Otk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:17 am

Hi all !!!

I think i am asking too many questions but this one is simple for you, i am sure... I want to use grass material but i couldnt get any result.

Material: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/14

I dont know to which type of mesh should i apply this material but i am creating a box and then adding this material on it and i get this result... There are Diffuse and Opacity maps in this material, should i apply displacement map also?

Whats the trick of creating a grass scene like all you do ? (for example Godzilla's Concrete Garden artwork)

Thank you,
Regards
Attachments
grass.jpg
grass.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Grass Material

Post by Pibuz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:56 am

Most of the times, Godzilla and other pros use some modeler's native scattering tool to achieve a non uniform distribution of some kind of object, like a grass strand, in this case. So the effect you're aiming to is triggered by the scattering of a sinlge tridimensional object, spread around randomly. Basically, the way to handle such a huge amount of geometry is not allowed by sketchUp's architecture, so we SU user must find another way.

The "clip" materials use an opacity map (black and white) to "cut" part of textures from the objects they're applied to. In this case, a texture with a group of grass strands takes the place of single grass strands: all you have to do is map the original texture onto a simple surface and scatter it instead of the separate 3D objects. You don't need to have a volume, a box or anything: a simple rectangle will do the job. For the first tests keep the mat as simple as possible: a diffuse shader for instance.

Let us know of your progresses!

suvakas
3rd Place Winner

Post by suvakas » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:26 am

Swap your blend materials inside IndigoBlend (drag Mat1 over Mat2 and pick "swap"). Currently everything around the grass blades is visible, you probably want it the other way around. Or use material linking.

Otk

Post by Otk » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:28 am

Thank you for your replies guys, i did what you told me and i think it is ok now... Please check this

I created a "nearly 2D" 3D object, linked the material and then used Maxigo Scatter, used Random Scale and Random Rotations...By the way this scatter tool gives me inspirations :D Very nice tool !!!

Is it ok?
Attachments
grass.jpg
grass.jpg (328.74 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
grass max.jpg
grass max.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 3202 times

4 posts • Page 1 of 1