Request: Node Support

Announcements, requests and support regarding the Blender Indigo export script
agentwd40

Request: Node Support

Post by agentwd40 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:53 am

:idea: Blender has support for nodes. How about some material love for nodes?

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: Request: Node Support

Post by Headroom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:18 am

While there is nothing wrong how materials are set up right now but node support would be great. This must be one of the top requests for the Blender exporter interface.

+100

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:35 am

+100

thednx

Post by thednx » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 pm

Very cool feature request indeed.

burnin

Post by burnin » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:16 am

wooow :D YES!

One of best examples is how Pixar's team did it with their PRMan-for-Blender exporter for the 21.2 NC release...
:shock: ... as if seamless integration within blender, amazing

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 am

With this dev speed I hope we will get it in 2018 ...

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

Every vote matters!

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:17 pm

SreckoM wrote:With this dev speed I hope we will get it in 2018 ...
:lol: It will come soon enough... just give them a bit time to build something that gives you actually more speed and not just a node base. IMO right now only one application did master the node base in an almost perfect way and that is Houdini. The rest like Arnold etc is not very well thought out (could be better) at least on c4d integration side.

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 pm

I think SreckoM is referring to the Blender exporter. It's fair to say that the development is very slow currently.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:35 pm

Oscar J wrote:I think SreckoM is referring to the Blender exporter. It's fair to say that the development is very slow currently.
Ah Ok. Not very familiar with the Blender update cycle...C4D's is awesome.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:34 am

Exactly, was talking about Blender plugin. As a matter a fact except C4D and Maybe Sketchup? exporters development is dead. Which is wrong strategy imho. Nowadays ppl favour mostly workflow. What would I bother with 15% gain in render speed if I lose 50% speed in workflow. Also I am actively involved into workflow so it is even more annoying. Just look where Arnold is now and why even CPU and slower than Indigo is so widely adopted compared to it. Also Redshift, both much younger.

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:40 am

SreckoM wrote:Exactly, was talking about Blender plugin. As a matter a fact except C4D and Maybe Sketchup? exporters development is dead.

Hmm... i did not know that. Didn't we had some job listings for it? Hope someone is skilled enough to take up the challenge for less than a bag of $/month.

SreckoM wrote:Which is wrong strategy imho. Nowadays ppl favour mostly workflow. What would I bother with 15% gain in render speed if I lose 50% speed in workflow.

Yep agreed that's why i said that is better to leave it a bit time to get it right. Rather than just have a node base which consumes more time than the classic way. Anyways it's not a small challenge design wise. Neither for the main app and neither for the plugins. You see / host app SDK's there are some style and integration restrictions you can't really just simply overcome. Like Arnold on c4d uses the Xpresso window which is basically the only way to get a simple integration but also has it's downsides. I'm really n favor of a separate Mat editor which features Nodes and a fast workflow outside the host app.
SreckoM wrote:Also I am actively involved into workflow so it is even more annoying.
:(
SreckoM wrote:Just look where Arnold is now and why even CPU and slower than Indigo is so widely adopted compared to it. Also Redshift, both much younger.
Well it's a whole nother topic. I think the adoption for those """""Industry standard"""""" renderers are just simply the timing/release year and feature set. What i mean exactly is that right now Indigo is crazy fast ( super proud of the guys who did it ) BUT it's not very versatile in ONE SINGLE WAY and that is VFX. It can't do hair and it can't do smoke....and it's really simple as that. Once we get those inside Indigo with the same speed you will see a rise in user and studio base. Right now i think Indigo has two big paths one is architecture viz and another is product visualization.
But not VFX it's still down the road but once it will support smoke, hair etc etc...i think it can and maybe will be bigger than those engines you mentioned above or at least on the same level as them now. From a studio stand point more and more are investing in GPU render farms in house. And if you calculate cost usage etc...maybe you are better off with a super fast OpenCL renderer and not lock yourself into only using Nvidia cards and a much expensive renderer.
Of course it's much harder to turn the big studios but time will tell. Anyways let's do a separate topic on this i'm pretty curious what people thing about this matter.

PS: Hope you get a Blendigo update soon. ;)

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:58 am

Market is way too competitive nowadays, so waiting is not alternative :D My company already went different route.

Also interesting to see http://www.cgarchitect.com/2016/11/2016 ... ---results

Eneen

Post by Eneen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:50 am

@Originalplan®:
I don't have such experience regarding nodes, but they seem to me easier and faster to use due to better control of what I have inside material, specially when blend one is used.
Blender plugin doesn't even now have mat preview so you know...

Originalplan®

Post by Originalplan® » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:11 am

Eneen wrote:@Originalplan®:
Blender plugin doesn't even now have mat preview so you know...
What do you mean it does not have a mat preview?
Ok downloading Blender now + Blendigo to have a look at the situation. :)

21 posts