[I-0.6] About RGC: the noob's way for an How To
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:35 pm
And, the big secret/scoop is (please wait for the drums to come
): the midtones value in Photoshop Levels IS a gamma value... thanks to suvakas for his support and confirmation about that precise point. So this is an image where I apply RGC for an initial gamma of 2.2 using Levels:

Reverse gamma of 2.2 is 1 divided by 2.2 equals 0.454545 (see Nick's blog)... Here we are... of course because we sometimes try to compensate with tonemapping or energy values or camera white point, it works best by guess. Just lower the midtones knob till it looks better for you.
Conclusion: use midtones not contrast !
And if I'm somehow wrong here, well have no hesitation, my pov is that knowledge grows better when it is shared. If you know precisely there is another/correct way to apply rgc, you are very welcome as well
Thx

Reverse gamma of 2.2 is 1 divided by 2.2 equals 0.454545 (see Nick's blog)... Here we are... of course because we sometimes try to compensate with tonemapping or energy values or camera white point, it works best by guess. Just lower the midtones knob till it looks better for you.
Conclusion: use midtones not contrast !
And if I'm somehow wrong here, well have no hesitation, my pov is that knowledge grows better when it is shared. If you know precisely there is another/correct way to apply rgc, you are very welcome as well