Round Corners

General questions about Indigo, the scene format, rendering etc...
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Tyler

Round Corners

Post by Tyler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:59 am

Hi there,

is there any chance to see a round corner material in the roadmap or is it an idea to forget right away?

thanks

Tyler

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Round Corners

Post by fused » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Tyler,

it's kind of a hack as I understand, maybe not so well suited for Indigo?

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Hi fused, it is a huge cool feature when you deal with CAD files..the result is even much better than modelling all the fillets and of course far quicker and editable. it would be perfect suited for indigo. the best ones i've tried were on iRay and MentalRay i only guess Octane are struggling with it since it's been now a long time they promise to have a great working one but su far so disappointed by the inconsistent feature results, it really changes your life but i don't know how much this is complicated to implement, if it would possible to try to implement it would be super super great;)

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:06 pm

i'm just down some test at the moment and i will post the results soon here and some other places. my main issues were on glasses, i really need an AR coated glass but i manage to have some acceptable results with one i made, the best for glasses would be to have two settings for specular, one for the colour or intensity of the reflection and another same one for refraction, i understand it looks a little bit biased but this feature saves you a lot in my regular jobs. Those two features would make indigo a killer. I'm struggling also a little bit because of c4d i'm using for the firs time and texture uv mapping and projections are so not logical with that soft i'm trying to understand better but if there was a nice maya plugin i would already have finish my test job. i have to admit indigo is the best rendering engine i tried so far and believe me i've tried many of them but maya plug, round edges and a tweakable specular would make my workflow much much faster, i didn't try animation so far but that's the next step.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:09 pm

I find a nice video on the subject, and I bet indigo could be made to use them, as they are basically normal maps applied to uv map in the 'right way'.

Quick Tip #33 : Rounded Edge Shader In MODO

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:38 pm

+1 for the round corner shader.
You basically read the normal angle between polygons with a threshold and bump or normal em out.
UV-based normal maps aren’t suitable for complex CAD models. An edge selection on the desired mesh read by that shader would fit best for efficiency. Either set up manually or as said by angle threshold.
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:31 pm

+1
I would also love to see this "hack" possible in Indigo. It is a mayor pain to bevel meshes from CAD import and can take a lot of time.
polygonmanufaktur.de

7 posts • Page 1 of 1