Page 1 of 1

The virus beat me

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:16 pm
by neo0.
So, about 2 days ago im watching this youtube video on hardcore hacking. It tells me that I need to download an app. So, I being dumb, I naturally go and download it. It turns out that it's some sort of a super virus. Niether AVG, AVAST, AdAWare detects it. The only anti virus that detected it was f-secure. But, as it turns out, by that time, my system was completely crippled. It was running so slow, that it took nearly 5 minutes for firefox to load up. Yep, that slow.

So, I remformatted (erased) all my drives and reinstalled. Sometimes I regret buying vista. Windows defender is practically useless because its library of threats is so small. On top of that it's enver updated, so it's not really like they can keep up with the latest threats. I remember some tests where it only caught a coupe adware items, but it was completely blind to spyware, viruses, trojans, dialers, etc.

Well, Yeah. Feels good to be back working in indigo (a whole new version of it no less :)) and playing call of duty 4.

My advice? Never downlaod random, unverifiable apps off of rapidshare links. :D

Re: The virus beat me

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 pm
by fused
neo0. wrote:I remember some tests where it only caught a coupe adware items, but it was completely blind to spyware, viruses, trojans, dialers, etc.
defender isnt supposed to find any thing else that spy- or adware. its like blaming pacman for not protecting you agains viruses.

i guess its an important lesson learned for you. the guy who put the video on youtube is probably laughing his back off right now :P

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:18 pm
by Phr0stByte
neo0.
I love my linux box....

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:42 am
by alex22
You should get a virtualization software, so you can test something without crashing your system.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:35 am
by zsouthboy
WTF - why the F would you download and RUN something because you saw on Youtube that you should?

No offense, Vista blows but Vista isn't your problem.

Hopefully you learned your lesson - at least you weren't in the middle of an important project or anything :)

EDIT:

@Alex22:

Virtualization is no safe haven - it's VERY easy to detect that your code is running virtualized, and take advantage of flaws in the VT software.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:47 am
by neo0.
I saved all my indigo stuff and my music, so it's good.

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 am
by PureSpider
Get some brain... :roll:

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:14 am
by CTZn
Come on don't be so harsh people :)

We know neo0. is a curious being, eager to learn about computers and things of his time; falling is one way to learn walking ;) Actually the same happened to me when I lately had access to the web (that's a few years now), suddently you have tenths of tracks to follow and by the way some are traps.

Go on neo0. just don't hurt yourself nor others, I'd prefer a foolish dog rather than a sheep. After all after a sheep one can just bark...

Cheeeeeerssss !

8)

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:10 am
by neo0.
Get some brain...
So you've never made a mistake before?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:11 am
by PureSpider
neo0. wrote:Get some respect. So you've never made a mistake before?
The point is... I learn from my mistakes...
Screw this, I'm not arguing :roll:

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:55 am
by MSUdom5
At least you didn't fall for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPJeDssBOM

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:24 pm
by WytRaven
PureSpider wrote:
neo0. wrote:Get some respect. So you've never made a mistake before?
The point is... I learn from my mistakes...
Screw this, I'm not arguing :roll:
The point is the original poster just learned from a mistake and is posting about it to hopefully prevent others from making the same one. So your point would be?

Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:06 pm
by neo0.
WytRaven wrote:
PureSpider wrote:
neo0. wrote:Get some respect. So you've never made a mistake before?
The point is... I learn from my mistakes...
Screw this, I'm not arguing :roll:
The point is the original poster just learned from a mistake and is posting about it to hopefully prevent others from making the same one. So your point would be?
Well said.

Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:46 am
by fused
MSUdom5 wrote:At least you didn't fall for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfPJeDssBOM
a german tv show is trying prove that its working(its on air right now). they use apples instead of onions (with ~1V and ~0.2mA they give way more power than onions).

the actaully needed 500 apples to charge the ipod :)

(well its quite clear that it works with enough fruits - but they did it anyway ;) )

Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:02 pm
by CoolColJ
NOD

ftw