Page 1 of 2

Verizon FIOS

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:02 am
by Phr0stByte
Just got fiberoptics internet services installed here at the house...
Woohoo!!! This rocks!

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:28 am
by Labello
how fast is your connection? *__*

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:34 pm
by Phr0stByte
Labello
15 Mbps download
2 Mbps upload :P

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:04 am
by PureSpider
I've got 16Mbps down, 2Mbps up :D
With just standard DSL XD

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:09 am
by Phr0stByte
PureSpider
I am thinking about upgrading to get the 15 down AND up. Think I will call them today.

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:10 am
by PureSpider
15 up would be absolutely lovely :D

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:08 pm
by pxl666
may i ask how much does it cost? i pay +-30$/mo for 512kb down / 128 kb up...pretty sweet huh...?

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:12 pm
by Phr0stByte
pxl666
15 up and down is $64.99 per month

Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:36 pm
by handsomedave
I pay $19.95 for 10 down and 1 up

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:52 am
by PureSpider
lol @pxl666! i pay +-30$/mo for 16 down, 2 up :D

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 am
by dougal2
My provider has promised that my 4mb service will soon become 10mb for the same price.... they're being really slow about it though :(

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:38 am
by Wedge
I have had cable for a few years but switched locations of where I lived. On the other side of the mountain I get speeds about 5 times faster for the same price. But now I am much closer to the "main switch."

I don't run speed tests because the size of my pipe doesn't help much since it usually ends up bottlenecked on the other side.

I have recently downloaded system drivers at 1.1 megabytes (not megabits) per second. But I don't see it often I suspect it is capped much lower on the server side to prevent one person from hogging too much pipe. As well as slower on "prime time" when everything is being taxed so much more.

It is nice to see fiber optic is being installed. It is the future and when more of the infrastructure becomes fiber optic our network will be a bit more ready for the future.

I do have a general question if you have the time to answer:
Have you noticed faster ping times? (I suppose this question assumes you play games or something..) :)

Oh and welcome to the future. :shock:

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 am
by Phr0stByte
Wedge
I am not much of a gamer. All the games I do play once in a while all run natively on linux (my all time favorite - UT2004). There are noticebly faster ping times. The other advantage it this: When I had cable, I would come home between 5-6pm and the whole eastern seaboard seemed to have already hogged the bandwidth. Now it is a consistant speed no matter the time.

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:07 pm
by pxl666
PureSpider wrote:lol @pxl666! i pay +-30$/mo for 16 down, 2 up :D
yeee but i live in poland...country with the most expensive internet service on the planet (maybe even galaxy)

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:04 am
by lycium
pxl666 wrote:yeee but i live in poland...country with the most expensive internet service on the planet (maybe even galaxy)
HA!

visit south africa, formerly my country of residence, sometime: http://www.hellkom.co.za/ (actually these days there's not even electricity so nevermind the internet costs...)