Free CAD Prog to Edit STEP files?!

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Zom-B
1st Place 100

Free CAD Prog to Edit STEP files?!

Post by Zom-B » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Hey Guys...

I'm looking for a free CAD tool or Converter that allows to actually convert STEP File Format into anything else I can work with C4D :)

I tried some Tools from the web, but only found solutions to convert STEP into mesh :?
The Problem is that the STEP file I want to work with is 100MB big, resulting in >2GB RAM usage during converting to mesh => Crash.
(reducing detail on to-mesh-converting results in some mesh errors!)

I look for a CAD tool where I am able to "kill" for rendering invisible Stuff and have no Pain in to-mesh-converting...

Maybe some 64bit converter is an option too...

Otherwise some free 30day trial Demos of a professional CAD tool is my last option!?

Any ideas?
polygonmanufaktur.de

Cire

Post by Cire » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:42 pm

I have IntelliCAD with STEP file import & 4GB of RAM . . . if you upload the file, I'll see what I can get & send back to you . . .

Let me know . . .

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:44 am

Hey Cire, many thanks for your offer!

Maybe I'll take this chance, but at the moment I'm looking for a possibility to be able to do this by myself, so that CAD using STEP files gets integrated into my workflow off possibility's...

Maybe somebody also can tell me about a "cheap" way of realizing my request...?
polygonmanufaktur.de

Cire

Post by Cire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:27 am

Cool . . .

As for cheap CAD offerings, autodsys' least expensive version of IntelliCAD costs $150. Importing of STEP isn't included, but that was a free download from some other site.

http://www.autodsys.com/indexh.html

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:31 am

Hey Cire, thanks for the link... 150$ are only ~100€ :) So I download the Demo now to check it out!

I also checked the net for STEP import, but only found a SYCODE PlugIn for another 95€ :?
polygonmanufaktur.de

Cire

Post by Cire » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:28 am

Yeah, sorry about that . . . that was the plugin I was thinking of. Didn't realize the free download was just a trial version. :roll:

xelecara

Re: Free CAD Prog to Edit STEP files?!

Post by xelecara » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:28 pm

What is the best CAD software for Mac OS X? I would like to make a 3D model of some parts I am designing. I am looking for some software that can render anything from a house, to a computer mouse, in 3D. I am NOT designing anything professionally, so there will be no need for any professional software. I just need something to create a "finished product" image to look at while designing. Any help or suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1