exit portals brought into the real world !

Discuss stuff not about Indigo.
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
CTZn

exit portals brought into the real world !

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:41 pm

This is artificial lighting:

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2015/02/a ... ht-system/

Of course I thought this was a fuss about a new unbiased engine at first :roll: :lol:
obsolete asset

Headroom
Indigo 100

Re: exit portals brought into the real world !

Post by Headroom » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:01 pm

If it is not a hoax it's pretty amazing. The imagery with it's sparsely and stylistic furnishings certainly looks like some well textured artistic interior renders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:44 pm

seems legit

http://www.coelux.com/en/blog/coelux-wi ... he-year/26

That was the obvious thing to do yet this is a revolution (architects would tell better).

a pic snatched from their website http://www.coelux.com/media/application ... 673web.jpg

Seems like they saw us coming :lol:
obsolete asset

Juju

Post by Juju » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:49 pm

nice, saw this before, check the price tag though...
Indigo 4 | skIndigo | SUpro 2018

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:37 am

Very interesting, and they really might have a real product, but what they do here is showcasing a real product with renders only.
Not only do they look like renders, but the pics don't match the vid. The rooms of the pics or the product itself are never shown in motion, and the rooms that are shown in motion never reveal the light source....

Surely nice to have in your bunker while the world is going to shit though...

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:28 am

It's not only the video and the render-like imagery.

The LEDs they use must be some incredible high power versions to even get close to the light levels the real sun can produce. Not to speak of what unheard of LED emitter can produce the necessary spectral distribution approximating the sun. Even better they can produce a spectral distribution present at differnt latitudes, such as tropics, mediteranean.

The next thing I am wondering about what optics are able to project that kind of light pattern into a room. I don't see mention of how deep such a light source is or in other words how thick a ceiling has to be to allow installation of that light source.

I am a natrual skeptic and I am wondering how such technology that combines ground breaking developments in emitters, optics and filtering ( and throw in some nano technology ) can have emerged in the hiding.

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:06 pm

The idea is not new and is not from this company.

On their website you can read : "Caution: the photographs on this site are real and unretouched.
They are not computer renderings."
But as Polinalkrimizei said, they would have made videos, (interviews of the CEO, etc...) in the room if this was so real. This means its fake, and these guys are quacks.

A few hypotheses:
- These are renders
- This is not real scale, the room is 20cm large
- This is (very) far from the lightness of a real sun and the photograph was taken with 10min shutter time :)

I'm in touch with lighting innovations for some time and this is (currently still) bullshit

@headroom : this is technically not fully unfeasible. But first prototypes would not look so neat, and the panels would be currently too bulky and expensive. Also, it is not necessary to match spectra for having an interesting new product!

In a study I have seen recently, they showed that such a product should not match the sun luminance ( ~60000 lux) because it's too bright for visual comfort (you do not want to wear sunglasses inside a building). But 3000lux with an approximative sun directivity would already be interesting, as visual comfort studies suggest.
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:02 am

Yup good points from PolinalKrimizei, why not featuring a video of the product in action... and these images do look like renders of course.

Also I trust your expertise guys. However, I don't see why that whole thing could not be possible, and that's why I didn't doubt much:

Why should it be a LED system ?

A parabolic mirror can parallelize light from a point light source if I'm correct, does it not ? Not all of them though, unless perhaps if the direct light is occluded and the bounced light focused at a given room height, wich might not be the case either provided the shadows.

I'm mitigated. Perhaps it's nothing but actual exit portals. Should these guys be sued then ?
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:11 am

Just a side note: nowadays a nano device can emit photons one by one at a desired rate. We can even do entangled photons on demand but these technologies are obviously not used in lighting.
obsolete asset

davide445

Post by davide445 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 am

I was reading about this beginning 2015, being a connational company there was many news.

Didnt have the opportunity to saw it, interesting this video and comments http://youtu.be/Tnslvi_qaa0

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:45 pm

A LED has no focusing by itself, and emits a wide cone so the LED here has nothing to do with the directivity, only with the power density.

What makes a LED more or less directive is the optics embedded in the package (reflector / LENS) and the whole thing is commonly called a LED, but is in fact a complex lighting device with a source and focusing elements.

So the parabolic mirror is a solution but there are already tiny parabolic mirrors in many LED packages
Eclat-Digital Research

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:03 pm

The video is much more convincing. However we still do not know how large is the setup above the ceiling! Interesting though
Eclat-Digital Research

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Light density, understood galinette.
Wowut. Maybe it's more about optics, and by that I mean thick glass, than the light source itself. You know these recent mirror tricks that can conceal someting but not it's background, seemingly...

I say: what a suspense !
obsolete asset

burnin

Post by burnin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:16 am

That would make sense. By reversed descriptive geometry have calculated ~3m distant light from ceiling portal (no mirrors, euclidean space). So mirrored space above with all the installation & materials (2-3 ray bounces, depends on where light is positioned) roughly makes it ~1 m high.
Would like to know more. What kind of materials they used? What are their properties? Proper plans? This shouldn't be so hard... more like an egg of Columbus. They probably used knowledge from render engines.
Would be nice to make virtual replica for rendering practice...

14 posts • Page 1 of 1