Page 1 of 3

[REQ] Comments in rendered images

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:26 am
by Heavily Tessellated
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't find it in this forum, so just to "put it down on paper"...

Image file comments. As our renders/ directory gets more and more crap in it that we don't remember to rename when we should, it would be great if you would stuff some metadata into the render output image.

Perhaps have a block in the inifile.txt for Creator/Owner and Copyright where these could be predefined. A Source field that just logs the scene name, and a Rendered variable field that updated every write, detailing the elapsed render time, samples per pixel, and last render speed. (or maybe average?)

PNG supports iTXt (UTF-8) but libpng has it turned off by default for now, I'm assuming it's safer to stick with tEXt, while being only Latin-1, it still supports Tag:Data textual pairs. (or since you're including a zlib dll these days, perhaps ztEXt?)

EXR of course supports arbitrary data additions, you could add anything you'd like to the header...

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:28 am
by suvakas
[edit]
Nah..didn't like my comment. Sounded too harsh.
My point was - rename your images !! :lol:

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 am
by Heavily Tessellated
:lol: Fair enough, but if you disagree- why did you bother posting at all? If it were open source you could suggest (however snide / sarcastic as you saw fit) that I implement it myself, but... uhh...

I also think it would be nice to know without remembering or keeping a log, how long renders ran. Maybe that's just me...

::edited for politeness::

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:12 am
by suvakas
I posted because i think there are more important things to take care of.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 am
by CoolColJ
Heavily Tessellated - I agree, I went back to redo and check some older scenes and renders and it's a nightmare! :shock:

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:23 am
by suvakas
So using any other renderer that doesn't save images automatically is a nightmare for you guys? Must be a huge work to rename and save all those images manually.:lol:
(sry..couldn't resist)

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:28 am
by zsouthboy
I have requested that render time, etc. be put into .png files in the past, too.

So far, no dice.

It's not THAT big of a deal, but it would be nice.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:33 am
by OnoSendai
I'm having a look at this...
But how does one view the metadata?

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:56 am
by suvakas
zsouthboy wrote:I have requested that render time, etc. be put into .png files in the past, too.
Rendertime would be nice indeed.
But copyright and filename?

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:24 am
by IanC
Ono, right click -> properties, usually. It also shows in various editing programs and some online galleries (I think).

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:29 am
by OnoSendai
IanC wrote:Ono, right click -> properties, usually. It also shows in various editing programs and some online galleries (I think).
I'm not seeing any PNG metadata (e.g. Author) in the dialog tho.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:00 am
by OnoSendai
So i've tried writing tEXt chunks, and it seems pretty simple.
The issue is how to view the written metadata.
Sounds like Image magick might do it, but that's kind of clunky.
Any ideas?

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:37 am
by Whaat
EDIT: removed post...didn't see the ones right above... :oops:

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:13 am
by Oiram
libextractor

libextractor is a library used to extract meta-data from files of arbitrary type.

Currently, libextractor supports the following formats: HTML, PDF, PS, OLE2 (DOC, XLS, PPT), OpenOffice (sxw), StarOffice (sdw), DVI, MAN, MP3 (ID3v1 and ID3v2), NSF (NES Sound Format), SID, OGG, WAV, EXIV2, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, DEB, RPM, TAR(.GZ), ZIP, ELF, REAL, RIFF (AVI), MPEG, QT and ASF.
Also, various additional MIME types are detected.

http://gnunet.org/libextractor/index.php?xlang=English


libextractor is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:18 am
by zsouthboy
Any half-decent image editor should allow you to view the extra information.