skip further subdivisions levels under conditions

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
CTZn

skip further subdivisions levels under conditions

Post by CTZn » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:38 am

skip further subdivisions levels attempts if no quads nor tris where modified during the last level. is this a safe condition ?
obsolete asset

kklors

Re: skip further subdivisions levels under conditions

Post by kklors » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 am

Usually when I run into ram issues because of displacements I just roughly estimate right subdivs by checking the displacement map res in megapixel. Basically a 2048x2048 map would have 4.19 MP for example, so it wouldn't show more detail with more than 4.2 million quads. So a 1 mil plane with a subdiv of 1 would be already pretty much there etc. So I think the displacement map res vs. poly count on object is a good condition.

However not so sure what happens after it triangulates the quads. It shouldn't give more detail after that, right?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:16 am

I simply use the Pixel Threshold to limit the subdivision, its only important to know that the Pixel Threshold is applied on internal resolution, before Super Sampling!
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:44 am

pixel threshold is a must and working magnificently. It is sadly ineffective in spherical mode, the functionality being skipped/ignored.

I can manage the RAM well but as it is with subdivisions conditions being ignored with the spherical camera the poles are looking ugly downstairs. now that's maybe because I didn't test the resulting map in conditions but stared at its renderingninstead. can it be so ?

kklors, I'll ignore you if you talk about texels again to me in the next days :lol: good tip of course.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:46 am

now that's maybe because I didn't test the resulting map in conditions but stared at its renderingninstead. can it be so ?
This seems to be true partially. View-dependednt subdivisions seem to apply with the spherical camera, but the distance ought to be modified by some logarithm I'm guessing. There must be an optimum view-dependent algorithm specific to the spherical camera mode.

On a different note, swapping camera types may render the view-dependent optimisation strictly inoperating in some instances.

I hope I clarified the report somewhat.
obsolete asset

5 posts • Page 1 of 1