Req: Render regions using masking?

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
FakeShamus

Req: Render regions using masking?

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Sort of an old request maybe, but I had a new thought about it today. Would it be possible to implement a grayscale image based masking system with which you would define parts of your render that you would like Indigo to focus rendering power on? So often there are large areas of a render that clear up quickly and then the tough areas like caustics, SSS and so on, need more time. Rendering smaller sections out and compositing them back in afterwards works, but is kind of tedious if there are lots of separate areas, plus it starts the render over from scratch. I think at some point it would be cool to have a built in masking brush in Indigo which you could use to quickly select areas you want to focus rendering power on. But to keep it relatively simple my thought was you could generate your own grayscale masks in photoshop or gimp and load them in with the same effect. With that you could get very specific with your selections if you are familiar with masks. And maybe this could be implemented in a way so that you just pause the render, load your mask and resume? Plus make it available as an option when resuming from an igi?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Req: Render regions using masking?

Post by Zom-B » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Oh yes, this request is so old, I had long hair back in the time :D
Now the hair is gone but brush based region rendering still not to see on the horizon...
polygonmanufaktur.de

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Req: Render regions using masking?

Post by Oscar J » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

+1

3 posts • Page 1 of 1