Lower turbidity!

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
galinette
1st Place Winner

Lower turbidity!

Post by galinette » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:37 am

Hi,

I currently have the following issue : minimum turbidity of 2 (and fixed turbidity in the captured simulation) are maybe Ok for the UK weather, but currently in West france the sky is so clear, that the gray haze at the horizon in renders is terribly annoying.

Here is an example : picture vs render. The sky position is precisely matched ( and quite high : 25° to zenith, which caused me a terrible headache in the evening due to over-exposure to sunlight, not kidding )

Is there any way this could be improved in the future?

Thanks!

Etienne
Attachments
20130714_142224.jpg
Perfect west coast french summer
nantes7.jpg
UK-style hazy weather in renders
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

OnoSendai
Developer

Re: Lower turbidity!

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am

I found the same issue when matching NZ skies, as they tend to be a lot clearer than European skies.
The problem with lowering the turbidity past 2 in the old indigo sky model (smits, shirley + preetham) is that the model breaks down / blows up.

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:48 pm

OnoSendai wrote:I found the same issue when matching NZ skies, as they tend to be a lot clearer than European skies.
Hey, it's different between Newcastle, in Sicily and the Alps 8)
OnoSendai wrote: The problem with lowering the turbidity past 2 in the old indigo sky model (smits, shirley + preetham) is that the model breaks down / blows up.
But maybe you could lower dust/water in your captured simulation and bake a few different sky conditions? The captured sky simulation is fantastic (much better than preetham at horizon) but a little bit too much fixed to my taste...

Or, much better, I would be very interested in tweaking/replacing your air composition and rendering skies in Indigo (mountain, other planets....). This could make fantastic envmaps.

Cheers,

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:00 pm

galinette wrote:
OnoSendai wrote:I found the same issue when matching NZ skies, as they tend to be a lot clearer than European skies.
Hey, it's different between Newcastle, in Sicily and the Alps 8)
Ha, sorry about insulting the whole of Europe :)
galinette wrote:
OnoSendai wrote: The problem with lowering the turbidity past 2 in the old indigo sky model (smits, shirley + preetham) is that the model breaks down / blows up.
But maybe you could lower dust/water in your captured simulation and bake a few different sky conditions? The captured sky simulation is fantastic (much better than preetham at horizon) but a little bit too much fixed to my taste...

Or, much better, I would be very interested in tweaking/replacing your air composition and rendering skies in Indigo (mountain, other planets....). This could make fantastic envmaps.

Cheers,

Etienne
I could bake out a captured sky with lower turbidity.
At some point I could allow users to bake the skies themselves I guess. It takes quite a long time though. (an overnight job at least)

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 am

OnoSendai wrote:I could bake out a captured sky with lower turbidity.
At some point I could allow users to bake the skies themselves I guess. It takes quite a long time though. (an overnight job at least)
Please please!

Baking your custom sky data is maybe not fully necessary, but baking envmaps (ie with a fixed sun position) with custom atmosphere would be very interesting. I suppose you just need to allow entering some tables for the atmosphere medium? (gas & particle distribution)

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:09 am

That last idea of a customizable simulation is great; I'm also a long time supporter of distributable sky packs.
obsolete asset

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:25 am

+1 for every inch of extra control over the simulated Sun/Sky system :)
3 to 5 recalculated Skies would be a big help already...

Maybe this here would be possible too:
Adding a Solar Radiance Function to the Hosek Skylight Model
polygonmanufaktur.de

7 posts • Page 1 of 1