Zoom/BlowUp Region?

Feature requests, bug reports and related discussion
15 posts • Page 1 of 1
Rezca

Zoom/BlowUp Region?

Post by Rezca » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:08 pm

One of the rendering modes Maxwell has is like Render Region, but instead of selecting a portion of the entire camera's field of view and only rendering that - with the rest of the image being blank - it zooms the camera in to the selected field and renders it at the same size.

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/ma ... wup+region

As an example, if you had an image at 1440x900 pixels and defined a 400 pixel wide selection in the corner, it would render that at full-size as if the camera had been positioned there to begin with.

Would this be possible to implement?
Cinema 4D R13 Visualize + Indigo Render

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Zoom/BlowUp Region?

Post by Pibuz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:17 pm

...about this, I started reading the rest of the maxwell help, and the "shift lens" chapter rang a bell in my head.
So, at the moment the shift lens feature in Indigo actually shifts the image up/down/left/right of a certain amount of space. In real photography, the shift lens feature allow to capture an image as if the geometry has vertical lines even if the vertical perspective is distorted (and so vertical lines converge).

I am sensitive with this kind of feature since I actually use certical lines in all my renders and at the moment I have to find a correct view in sketchup, while I could simply set a scene and then play with parameters in the indigo GUI.

Rezca

Post by Rezca » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 am

Pibuz wrote:...about this, I started reading the rest of the maxwell help, and the "shift lens" chapter rang a bell in my head.
So, at the moment the shift lens feature in Indigo actually shifts the image up/down/left/right of a certain amount of space. In real photography, the shift lens feature allow to capture an image as if the geometry has vertical lines even if the vertical perspective is distorted (and so vertical lines converge).

I am sensitive with this kind of feature since I actually use certical lines in all my renders and at the moment I have to find a correct view in sketchup, while I could simply set a scene and then play with parameters in the indigo GUI.
Do you think you could explain how you use that feature? It sounds interesting :D

I don't often change the camera's position in Indigo and have never used the shift values at all since I didn't know what they did, so I just assumed it was like Cinema 4D's cameras and that if you moved them it would change the field of view entirely, so focusing on a specific portion of the image would require creating a new camera and *carefully* matching it up, which took a lot of guesswork ^^;
Cinema 4D R13 Visualize + Indigo Render

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:48 am

Rezca wrote:Do you think you could explain how you use that feature? It sounds interesting :D
The Film Offset X & Y Value of the C4D camera gets transfered to Indigo, give it a try :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Mor4us
3rd Place Winner
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Mor4us » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Zom-B wrote:
Rezca wrote:Do you think you could explain how you use that feature? It sounds interesting :D
The Film Offset X & Y Value of the C4D camera gets transfered to Indigo, give it a try :)
Yeah that's absolutely brilliant and also necessary for every architectural rendering!!!
C4D R20 Studio
mad-imagery.com

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:57 am

Pibuz wrote:...about this, I started reading the rest of the maxwell help, and the "shift lens" chapter rang a bell in my head.

Actually the shift lens feature in indigo moves the lens.
Can u show me some images demonstrating the problem?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:27 am

Ok, here's what I mean. Note that english is not my native language so I might be wrong about the correct technical name. :wink:

The first image is what I think Indigo should be able to do, that is making perspective converging lines to be rendered vertical; the second and third image is what Indigo actually does at the moment: it keeps the perspective point and "tilts" the image up, down, left or right, but the converging lines keep on..converging :lol:
Attachments
how its supposed to work.jpg
shift 0.0.jpg
shift +6.0.jpg
Last edited by Pibuz on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bosseye

Post by Bosseye » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:00 am

Ha, last time I dabbled with the lens shift feature in Indigo I was expecting Indigo to do what Pibuz has shown in his first image, ie get the converging perspective lines to straighten up to vertical rather than converge, but I got exactly what Pibuz got in his images - it just seems to tilt the camera up or down and makes no difference to the perspective.

I just assumed I was using it wrong or I had my terminology confused and lens shifting was something else.

So, I am also interested in this feature.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:39 am

Just point the camera forwards, then put the shift to a positive value.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:42 am

Sorry Ono: what do you mean?

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:46 am

To get an image like on the left side of 'how its supposed to work.jpg',
Point the camera directly forwards at eye level (e.g. no up component in forwards vector),
then set the shift to a positive value.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:57 am

That is exactly what I usually do :lol: :lol:

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:01 am

Pibuz wrote:That is exactly what I usually do :lol: :lol:
And it works, right?

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:04 am

Well, it does, but basically I do the work, by setting z-aligned POV and vanishing point.
I'm no photography expert but I kinda have the feeling it's not exactly the same thing. But I may absolutely be wrong!

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:35 am

Pibuz wrote:Ok, here's what I mean. Note that english is not my native language so I might be wrong about the correct technical name. :wink:

The first image is what I think Indigo should be able to do, that is making perspective converging lines to be rendered vertical; the second and third image is what Indigo actually does at the moment: it keeps the perspective point and "tilts" the image up, down, left or right, but the converging lines keep on..converging :lol:
Hi Pibuz, if you want that to happen you must have no torsion on the camera it can only rotate in one axis, then you have it like you want. I had a camera in cinema that did just that, you could only move it and rotate it in the y axis, it worked as a charm.

15 posts • Page 1 of 1