Pavoda Rendering Thread

Show off your final renders
pavoda

Re: Pavoda Rendering Thread

Post by pavoda » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 am

1) - 6)
It would be a great improvement.

One thing still limits me very much. When I export several images from C4D like animation to indigo renderer, every image takes some time for export. If the scene is large, each frame can be exported for several minutes. Scene is static, only the camera is different. Isn't this possible to optimize? Also, indigo build scene again and again for each new frame.

It's sad because I see that in indigo also in C4D I can move it free and it is realtime rendering, but for batch rendering it has to export and build every view again. Maybe it's some hidden setting that I didn't discover?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:21 pm

pavoda wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:41 am
If the scene is large, each frame can be exported for several minutes. Scene is static, only the camera is different.
In this case I could imagine that you bake textures from c4d shaders, this can add up if you use it a lot. The exporter does bake a texture per frame of animation, even while its static... will ask fused about some detection for this :)
Delete all materials in your scene and try to export, you'll see way faster export time, right?!
polygonmanufaktur.de

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:15 pm

I know about this and try not to use shaders. But sometimes I get shaders in the scene. My big scenes contain hundreds of materials from different objects from different sources, sometimes it is difficult to find and eliminate all shaders. Indigo could help in this. 1) Find and convert shaders to texture (in C4D). 2) export and bake only one scene if it is static. When the problem is to detect if is static or not, then add the button "static scene".

Paraket

Post by Paraket » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:56 am

Zom-B wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:32 pm
I did a ticket and merged it with the request for mirrored tiling that isn't supported my Indigo atm too
Thanks a lot!

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:39 am

I working on new project. There is many objects. Try render with SS 2 and denoising check (GPU rendering). It takes a lot of PC RAM. My 32 RAM was not enought. So I upgradet it to 80 Gb (16+64). Now start rendering, first pass and crash. Ok, disable denoising and it is ok - rendering to finish. I try endable denoising and set SS 1. Rendering going OK. Why? It takes about 40Gb PC ram, but a lot of was free.

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 am

I made a screen record for this issue:

https://youtu.be/E2_OwMBCOls

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Hey Pavoda,

thanks for taking the time and doing a video!
In you video you never change the SS, it stays at 2. It seems like having denoising active from the start of the render is causing the issue, since activating it later seems to be no problem. Here are some ideas:

1) does Indigo generate a crash dump after such a crash?! You get informed about it if you start Indigo after a crash with a popUp message, check this folder if there is a newly generated:
C:\Users\Zom-B\AppData\Roaming\Indigo Renderer\crash dumps

2) deactivate OpenGL preview, it just eats up resources, isn't needed and just another vector for problems (sorry Glare)

3) It seems you have two 2080Ti... why don't render on both? 8)
polygonmanufaktur.de

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 pm

I did these tests:
1. Render with denoise and SS 2 - crash
2. Render without denoise and SS 2 - ok
3. Render with denoise and SS 1 - ok
In video is only 1. and 2. case, but it is how I said up. This is one of the reason why I recommend make denoising on the end of rendering. In first phase of rendering is very expensive to resources.

1) I found the crash dump, but how to read it?
2) Ok, good idea...I suspect the gpu memory is fully consumed and this could help
3) No, I have unfortunately only One 2080TI and 1070, but for some reason indigo shows both card twice.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:29 am

pavoda wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:53 pm
1) I found the crash dump, but how to read it?
You can't, zip it and upload here please so the devs can take a look
polygonmanufaktur.de

Paraket

Post by Paraket » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:11 am

Hi Pavoda!

All versions of 4.2.xx have problems with video memory. After filling approximately 60-70% of the memory, unstable work with failures begins. I check every new version on different computers. Try version 4.0.65 - it puts almost twice as many objects into the memory of the video card and works stable. I, like other users working with large scenes, use version 4.0.65. In this version you can place an insane amount of geometry and textures in the video memory!

P.S. In your projects, excellent design and lighting :)

Good luck and inexhaustible inspiration!

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:03 am

Indigo 4.0.65 is one year old version, good to know about this, but
many things have been improved in next versions and I prefer latest.
I hope the stability issue with fuller memory will be fixed in future releases. Btw, thank you for your appreciation.

I will soon show you this project as a virtual tour again.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 pm

Hey Paraket,

interesting info about the 4.065 memory behavior!
I'll have to investigate into this at some point, but have to admit that for me the latest Indigo versions have no stability issue at all, and I'm maxing out the 11GB RAM of my 1080Ti to over 10GB of usage a lot with complex scenes!
Be sure to disable OpenGL Preview, and working with RAM hungry apps during rendering can cause problems since GPU has no swapping like system RAM!
Also the new texture compression feature is a nice addition to save GPU memory for scenes with many (big) textures
polygonmanufaktur.de

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:15 pm

I have carefully monitored the gpu memory values ​​during rendering and at various settings. GPU memory is 2.75 Gb - 3.00Gb max and sometimes indigo crashes.

What is "max individual alloc" showing in indigo? It is 2 Gb for 2070 and 2,75 for 2080ti..it is always quarter of gpu memory. Why is it so low? Seems like max usable memory of Vram.
Attachments
MIA.JPG

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:16 am

It's not total max, it's individual max. In practise this means something like you can have max 2.75 gigs for geometry, another 2,75 gigs of textures, etc...

pavoda

Post by pavoda » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:05 pm

Ok, thanks you Oscar

65 posts