Newbie Questions

Come here for help & support.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1
cholme

Newbie Questions

Post by cholme » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:06 am

I am new to Indigo, and currently using the trial version. So far I am really impressed with the realistic scenes that are created, even without knowing too much about the program.

There are a few things that are not that intuitive to me however. I tried to "save a scene" and resume rendering at a later time. It didn't seem to work, every time I tried opening the saved scene it defaulted to the last scene I was rendering, not the saved one. I then tried to save the image as a igi and then use the "resume from igi" feature and couldn't even get it to recognize the igi file. Am I missing something?

Also, and perhaps this is for the SketchUp forum, but I will try anyway. It seems like sometimes I create a light/emitter it doesn't actually emit. Is there a particular "texture" that I should use? I tried using the SK colors and then creating an emitter from the presets, but sometime it works sometimes it doesn't... it is sort of frustrating.

Soup

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Soup » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:13 pm

To save for resume, you have to 'save image' as IGI, and then 'save scene'. Then to resume just 'resume from IGI' and find both those files.
You don't strictly have to 'save scene', but chances are the temp scene will get over-written and lost.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Pibuz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:11 am

Hi Cholme and welcome.
If you're a SketchUp user, this is actually not the right section....

BTW, being a Su user there's a couple things you should know.
If you want to resume a render, it is not recommended that you use the "render" button you find on the SkIndigo bar. You'd better go to SkIndigo rolldown in the plugins menu, and choose "export scene as...". So you can name your exported scene as you wish (igs file) and save it wherever it is easy for you to find. Then, when the scene is running, you can go the "options" panel in the Indigo GUI and, as Soup said, check the save IGI button. This will save not only the image (png file) but also an additional file (igi), same folder, named like your render.
Then you should be able to resume rendering opening Indigo, choosing "resume scene" and loading the requested files (igs and igi).

About your problems with the emitters, don't be sad: they're easyto use!
No specific textures are required: plain SU colours will do the job greatly. I suppose your problem deal more with the camera settings, than with the mat setup. First of all, choose "camera" tonemapping": it is easier to understand and closer to reality. Then model a simple box with a square on the ceiling, apply a different colour to the square and set it to be an emitter, like you did before. Then, in the SkIndigo Background settings choose Background colour and check "black". This will give the scene no environment lighting, so it is easier to understand the emitter's behaviour.
The click render.
If the render is dark, simply adjust the ISO value while the render is running, you'll see your emitter working.

If the render is dark, either the base parameters of your mat were too low, or the camera parameters (ISO, shutter speed, etc...) were inappropriate.

Post your tests!!!!!

3 posts • Page 1 of 1