Fast rendering: CPU or GPU?

Come here for help & support.
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
Dziadek-NET

Fast rendering: CPU or GPU?

Post by Dziadek-NET » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Hello

I am currently using the free version of the program.
At the moment my computer has
CPU: i5-4570
ram: 16GB
Graphics: GTX 760

I intend to invest to significantly shorten the render time.
Rendered scenes are rooms in which I plan to present glass products (transparent or matte)
Satisfactory quality is currently obtained after 120 minutes.

Please advise what I should invest in whether:
CPU eg AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + current graphics
whether
GPU, eg GeForce RTX 2070 or GeForce GTX 1080 Ti + current processor

greetings

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Fast rendering: CPU or GPU?

Post by Zom-B » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:11 am

Hey Dziadek-NET,

welcome to Indigo :)

usually a GPU has the best performance over a CPU... by far.
Interiors with Glassware can be very difficult for a GPU since it can only render in path tracing mode,
while the CPU can also use BiDir and als MLT+BiDir if needed... both can help with glassware for sure.
Pure bruteforce GPU power still is a good way of render glassware, don't get this wrong

Best is you compare the GPU vs CPU performance on the benchmark website and run it yourself to get an idea:
https://www.indigorenderer.com/indigobench

If you maybe can upload a pigs file of one of your scenes I'm sure a few people could do a benchmark on their CPU and GPUs so you have a exact idea about how your stuff would perform :)

I can offer a 1080Ti + 16core Theradripper 1950X
(hint: the GPU is way faster on most scenes for me)
polygonmanufaktur.de

Dziadek-NET

Post by Dziadek-NET » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:34 am

Hello

Thanks for the answer, I understand the CPU gives better results when it comes to glass (more realistic).

Here are my benchmark results:
Indigo Benchmark v4.0.64, Windows 64-bit build.
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz (GenuineIntel) - Bedroom: 0.299 M samples / s (1280x720, 60.190 s, 19.517 samples / pixel)
GeForce GTX 760 (NVIDIA Corporation) - Bedroom: 0.692 M samples / s (1280x720, 120.871 s, 85.464 samples / pixel)
Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz (GenuineIntel) - Supercar: 0.724 M samples / s (1280x720, 60.188 s, 47.260 samples / pixel)
GeForce GTX 760 (NVIDIA Corporation) - Supercar: 2.694 M samples / s (1280x720, 60.188 s, 150.580 samples / pixel)

I am sending two projects showing planned scenes.
1. Glass wall - this is a new idea, but it will not be duplicated.
https://app.box.com/s/0w2n5mna0imkxzzo4w0xz2skl95gqkr7

Here I don't know how to light up a scene but not burn it out.
It is brightly lit in the photo.

2. Typical design (one glass product)
https://app.box.com/s/r3eysehomhpsxze6g6ucf7dzzv7wiwgd

You mentioned that the CPU has more rendering capabilities.
But isn't it possible to calculate CPU + GPU simultaneously?
The CPU only calculates BiDir and als MLT + BiDir
and the GPU renders everything else?

The Indigo engine is based on OpenCL or is it related to CUDA cores from Nvidia?
In Indigo, the more CUDA cores the better?

In recent days I have read that the RTX 3080 has almost 2 x more CUDA cores than the RTX 2080, so I started to wonder whether I should convert 100% funds only in GPU ----> RTX 3080 and leave the i5-4570 or replace it with i7 4790K? ??

I have a dilemma for the last year, I planned to convert 100% into Platworma (GPU + motherboard + RAM) and skipped the GPU completely.
Now I do not know what the right combination should be, but NOTE I do not want to spend a lot of money because I render the scenes as a hobby, but it is advisable that the glass has a natural look.

Greetings

dr_zepsuj

Post by dr_zepsuj » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:07 am

GPU's brute force is great, except when you have tricky lighting situation. I am working on an indoor scene where CPU produces 10x less samples than GPU, but thanks to GPU being limited to one-way path tracking, image looks worse when rendered on CPU, over the same amount of time. GPU Bi-Dir has been promised couple of times in the past, but no implementation has been seen yet... :/

(2 x GTX 1080Ti vs Intel i7 5960x @ 4.5GHz, all three on water)
-------------------------

If its not broken - take it apart and fix it ! ;)

easyarchitect

Post by easyarchitect » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 pm

Also the lack of exit portals on the GPU has great performance impact on interior scenes
;-)

dr_zepsuj

Post by dr_zepsuj » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:45 am

easyarchitect wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 pm
Also the lack of exit portals on the GPU has great performance impact on interior scenes
;-)
It is frustrating, because otherwise Indigo is a really really good rendered, I prefer it over Vray...

Dziadek-NET

Post by Dziadek-NET » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:01 am

dr_zepsuj wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:07 am
but thanks to GPU being limited to one-way path tracking, image looks worse when rendered on CPU, over the same amount of time.
Do I understand correctly, if I force the GPU to follow the path the same as the CPU the effect will be worse than the performance against the CPU at the same time?

Has anyone had the opportunity to judge whether the scenes with glass inserted by me should be rendered by the CPU or by the GPU?

dr_zepsuj

Post by dr_zepsuj » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:20 am

If you use the same algorithm, it should look the same given the same samples per pixel. When it comes to different algorithms, it depends on the scene. If you have tricky lighting situation, with a lot or refractions and possibly caustics, CPU bi-dir will do much better than GPU "one way" path tracing (not to mention MLT). In my current project, I use a lot of translucent materials and given 12hours on GPU, the scene looked worse than 6 hours render on CPU bi-directional path tracing.

On the other hand, if you are using direct lighting and no refractive/translucent materials, GPU speed is unparalleled.

So... the definitive answer is: it depends :D

wob

Post by wob » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:42 am

Dziadek-NET wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:01 am
dr_zepsuj wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:07 am
but thanks to GPU being limited to one-way path tracking, image looks worse when rendered on CPU, over the same amount of time.
Do I understand correctly, if I force the GPU to follow the path the same as the CPU the effect will be worse than the performance against the CPU at the same time?

Has anyone had the opportunity to judge whether the scenes with glass inserted by me should be rendered by the CPU or by the GPU?
cpu renders are good for static images. good picture, good caustics. only one frame, so - infinite render time, stop when you want.

but if you want to create animations, just buy the RTX 2070 or better card and dont ever think about CPU rendering. CPU rendering is a headache in animation field. very slow, very energy-intensive. i got the same time results on single RTX 2060 (~100 watt) vs 5 or 6 Intel i7-Cores (~400 watt). equal time, equal pic. i dont see the real difference between MLT renders and one-directional raytracing in real projects (except caustics). you need a big cpu server farm (15-20 powerful units) to render animation with the same 2x RTX 2080ti speed.

p.s. indigo is a fastest gpu render now. world #1

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Hey Dziadek-NET,

sorry for coming back that late to you.
Since you just uploaded the SketchUp file only people with SketchUp can try it (not me).
If you run the Indigo renderer go to
File > Save as > Packed Indigo Scene

This pigs can be run directly in Indigo.
polygonmanufaktur.de

easyarchitect

Post by easyarchitect » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:51 am

easyarchitect wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:29 pm
;-)
Happy New Year to all. I'm here again to ask if there are plans to implement exit portals management on the GPU in the next release of Indigo.
I keep asking because I firmly believe that Indigo has very good quality and speed.
It is precisely the speed that makes it attractive compared to other rendering engines.
I mostly render interiors and am forced to turn off exit portals if I use the GPU.
I've been waiting for this feature for years, maybe 2021 is the year...
:-)

Thank you
A. Delle

Dziadek-NET

Post by Dziadek-NET » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:34 pm

Hello

But we have times :(
I have been thinking too long about choosing a CPU & GPU.
All the time I thought that the CPU was the best solution for me due to the realistic light transmission through the glass. But lately I only use the GPU of the old GTX 760 GPU which is faster than the i5-4570 anyway.
I did not think that the situation with the availability of graphics cards will change like this !! ehhhh
Back in October, I was thinking about buying a GTX 1080 Ti, and fun possibly buying a GTX 3080.

Currently, I am rescued by a new feature in Indigo "Denoising", after a few minutes I have a scene that is confusingly similar to the scene still performed on the older engine / without this function :).
So I will survive somehow;)

What do you think, is it worth buying the GTX 1080 Ti or GTX 3060 Ti in the future, and maybe another card model - a reasonable price / quality choice?

Possibly CPU Ryzen 9 3900X + new feature in Indigo "Denoising" ??

What do you think ?

jan1
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by jan1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:29 am

i have amd rx 6800 and i am quite happy ,
16gb of ram is luxury you will maybe have to count into your decision ...

13 posts • Page 1 of 1