Newbie - Help!

Come here for help & support.
Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Newbie - Help!

Post by Oscar J » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:34 am

Yes, they should give exactly the same lighting as when not using them, provided you cover all openings to the environment with exit portals.

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:37 pm

Had a play with HDRIs and exit portals and left it to render overnight and this is the result. It's (for me) difficult to tell if I've got the lighting right without seeing the materials in place. Do you think it worth moving onto materials now or still try and tweak the lighting? There are still bits of the model missing, but I'll add them in later.
Attachments
1st Render v4.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:40 pm

The lighting looks beautiful to me. :)

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks Oscar, posting it with the reference photo for comparison.
Attachments
1st Render v4.jpg
tylko_2015_shelf_campaign-web.a3dc4593e5b5.jpg

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:22 pm

elliottcal wrote:Do you think it worth moving onto materials now or still try and tweak the lighting? There are still bits of the model missing, but I'll add them in later.
Since materials also affect the light in the room (like the dark floor absorbs quite some light), I'll do a first rough material pass.
By that you also can adjust light to fit the reference by adjusting it based on reflection behaviour :)

I also suggest a big soft light behind the camera, that softens the shadows on the wall the camera is facing to.
polygonmanufaktur.de

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:39 pm

Thanks Zom-B, will try the soft light and make a start on materials. Materials are the bit I'm probably least comfortable with, so I'm sure I'll be asking a load more questions!

Thanks everyone for the advice and tips so far.

Originalplan®
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by Originalplan® » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:18 am

@eliottcal Looking good so far!

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:52 pm

Thanks OriginalPlan!

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:46 am

I've roughed out the floor and played around with colors, which I know are off for the attached. I've put a bump-map in for the lines between the boards, but unsure about how to handle the 2 different textures on the floor. 1 being the varnished surface and the other being where the varnish has worn away.

Thinking of playing with a blend material using 2 types of phong, 1 with a higher IOR for the varnish and 1 with a lower one for the worn patches. Am I heading in the right direction?

Also attached the original image for reference.
Attachments
tylko_2015_shelf_campaign-web.a3dc4593e5b5.jpg
1st Render v6.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:54 am

You don't need to blend phongs. If you use a map in the fresnel scale slot, with white areas where you want the clear reflective wood, and black where you want the worn surfaces, you'll get the same effect. These kinds of maps are often called spec maps or reflection maps on texture websites.

Your bump map looks a little low resolution by the way, it's like the gap between the planks is too soft.

I think you pretty much nailed the lighting by the way! :) You can adjust the white balance to match the reference pic better though.

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks Oscar, just had a little play with the fresnel map and it seems to be doing the reverse to what I need, the black areas which don't reflect, appear darker than the white areas which do. Looking at the reference photo the worn areas are lighter than the shiny ones.

As I write that, it makes perfect sense that the shiny areas would be lighter, but in the re picture the varnish gives the wood a darker look.

Any tips on how I can replicate that?

Added a quick test render to show what I mean...
Attachments
1st Render v6.1.jpg

Oscar J
1st Place Winner

Post by Oscar J » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 am

Well, the colour texture for your floor is drastically different to the one in the reference picture.

Ideally, you should have a spec map that matches your colour map. As you can see by looking at the ref picture - the worn areas are light and matte, and the reflective areas are dark and reflective. So ideally you want a colour texture which is lighter in its worn areas and has a dark wooden colour in the other. For the spec map you want it to be the other way around - it should be dark in the worn areas, where the colour texture is light, and lighter everywhere else.

If you can't find/make appropriate textures for this, it might indeed be a better idea to do like you suggested and make a blend material between a light wood coloured matte material, and a darker reflective material, and control the blend between these with an appropriately "worn" blend map.

elliottcal

Post by elliottcal » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:07 am

Makes sense, I'll give both a try and see what works the best (or at least within my capability!)

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:35 pm

The floor is a perfect candidate for a coating material. Use your floor texture material as the base and use a separate texture to control where the varnish covers it.

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi Elliott,
interesting workfolw I must say. It remebers me of...mine when I started! :lol:
I think this is the right way to understand: posting reference and wips really helps evaluating the progresses, and at the same time see what still lacks.

My go is to focus on the typical elements of the image: in this case, the furniture itself is minimal, so there's something else in the scene which must bring it up, and that - my friend - is the floor. I'm sure the photographer worked a lot on that, so....you have to work on that too.

This is the right moment to make some material testing: make small tests on the "hotspots" (the bright reflection areas and the feet of the furniture, I'd say), find the best texture you can, matching the reference, and you will see a GREAT improvement.

Also, straighten the vertical lines :mrgreen:

31 posts