Help adding reflection

Come here for help & support.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
patseguin

Help adding reflection

Post by patseguin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:20 pm

I want add a slight amount of reflection to the wood floor in this scene to make it look more realistic. I am having trouble achieving this in Indigo though. In the material editor, I tried selecting specular, but that just take away the wood texture and just makes it a reflective surface. I also tried clicking on specular reflection in the render window but the same thing happens. How can I just had a slight amount of reflection and still have the wood floor texture?

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Re: Help adding reflection

Post by Oscar J » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:36 pm

Phong is correct. You need a much higher exponent value (something like 500 - 10000) and you might want to up the IOR value a bit as well.

patseguin

Post by patseguin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:43 pm

Oscar J wrote:Phong is correct. You need a much higher exponent value (something like 500 - 10000) and you might want to up the IOR value a bit as well.
The tooltip says that exponent is roughness. What does that do to the texture, just make it look more "rough"? How does that add reflection? WHich option in the dropdown do I want? Sketchup, texture, shader?

I can't believe I missed the IOR setting though! Can I make the reflections sharper?

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Higher IOR = more reflections, higher exponent = sharper reflections.
For IOR, values between 1 and 2 are usually good values (you Can go mich higher though, just not advisable for your floor), and for exponent take the range of values oscar suggested.

patseguin

Post by patseguin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks guys. What do the different options in the exponent dropdown mean and which one do I want to use?

Here is a render of my scene. I used 5 IOR and 5,000 exponent and selected "SketchUp" in the dropdown although I have no idea what that does.

How do you think my realism is and what would you suggest to make it better?

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:31 am

I feel like we've been over this a few times now - all this really simple stuff is covered in the manual.

An IOR of 5 is extremely high, see Polinalkrimizei's post. A tip would be to download a few wood materials from the material database and see how they're constructed.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1