render looks differnt between render modes.

Come here for help & support.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
doreamon

render looks differnt between render modes.

Post by doreamon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello. Evaluating indigo for purchase and doing some tests.
I'm getting drastically different renders with bidirectional pathtracing vs bidirect mlt. I wanted to speed up render and not use pathtracing(I know its more accurate) but the results are very different.
How can I make it more consistent and determine what is causing the big difference?
In this kind of scene, would pathtracing mlt be better to get rid of noise at the cost of more splotches? Thanks

DJ AntOn

Re: render looks differnt between render modes.

Post by DJ AntOn » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Very fast only Pathtracing + Enable GPU
Supersampling = 5

doreamon

Post by doreamon » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:54 pm

My card is lowend and it only helps rendertime to speed up by 10-15 overall.
Doesn't supersampling just render the scene x=n times? Wouldn't that increase rendertime more?
Isn't faster to render a scene 10000 pixels then scaling down x5 in photoshop.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:11 pm

doreamon wrote:I'm getting drastically different renders with bidirectional pathtracing vs bidirect mlt.
Thios should NOT be the case, both render modes should end up in the same result!
maybe this is a rainhard tonemapping issue, since it adapts tonemapping to the scene, some fireflies can trick the tonemapper to adjust diferently!
Doublecheck if this happens with linear tonemapping too, if it does please send scene in pigs format to the devs so they can take a look!

doreamon wrote:I wanted to speed up render and not use pathtracing(I know its more accurate)
No, all rendermodes are unbiased and therefor equal in accuracy (if rendered loooong enough!).
But the different rendermodes have different strengths and weaknesses. For interior using BiDir Pathtracing is usually the best choice in the very most situations. MLT is great in doing caustics for glass, godrays and tackling complicated scenes with very small light sources (raise the MLT setting Large Mutation Prob to 0.85 for a less patchy render noise) but MLT is less effective in the long run, taking longer to kill the rest of the minimal noise in long renderings...

doreamon wrote:Doesn't supersampling just render the scene x=n times? Wouldn't that increase rendertime more?
Isn't faster to render a scene 10000 pixels then scaling down x5 in photoshop.
No, supersampling only cost RAM. Your Photoshop approach would end up in the same result ;)
polygonmanufaktur.de

doreamon

Post by doreamon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:29 am

There is definitely a change when I use mlt modes in indigo RT. Didn't use rheinard tonemap.
Just checked in linear mode and its really different depending on the render mode.

Maybe something with indigo rt? Can indigo standalone render indigo rt scenes?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:54 am

doreamon wrote:Maybe something with indigo rt? Can indigo standalone render indigo rt scenes?
Yes it can. Does this change in brightness also happen for the testscenes (Erotica & Pin). If not please send a (reduced) scene with that issue to the support, so they can take a look :)
polygonmanufaktur.de

6 posts • Page 1 of 1