Unable to use Online Material Database materials properly

Come here for help & support.
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
DKL

Unable to use Online Material Database materials properly

Post by DKL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:26 pm

Hello.

I've been having an issue with trying to use materials that I retrieved from the online database.

I created two boxes in sketchup (one small box inside a big box).

I rendered the program in Indigo, got a material from the online database (the rain drops on glass one) and then applied the material to the wall of the bigger box...

The actual material (glass) seems to have been recreated, but the rain drops are not showing up, so I just end up with this:

What can I do to resolve this?

I tried going in and messing with the options for the texture, but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks in advanced.

Also, for reference, I'm on a mac.

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Re: Unable to use Online Material Database materials properl

Post by bubs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:24 am

I would hazard a guess that it is working just fine, but your scale is way off... if you haven't applied a dimensioned placeholder texture to the mesh in your modelling program, then when you apply any of the textures from the MatDB they will come in at a default size (probably 1 inch square or something...)

Either put a texture on the mesh in your modelling software sized to match the actual texture your want to end up with
-or-
play with the scale in Indigo until it looks correct. To do this click on the thumbnail of the bump map in the 'Properties Editor' panel and change the '1' s in the 'Rotation/Scale' section to something smaller... try 0.1 or something... For materials with more that one image file you would need to adjust the scale in all the panels - exponent, albedo, displacement etc...

DKL

Post by DKL » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:48 am

Yes, actually. I scaled the boxes way down and I was finally able to see the rain drops.

(I didn't realize that the scale presented in the preview was like 50 cm or something, while my boxes were like... 50 feet)

The other thing though is that, depending on the complexity of the model, it could actually take a long time for the rain drops to even show up in the render.

Anyway, I'll also consider the other solutions as well since they might help me make things go faster.

Thanks a lot for the help.

DKL

Post by DKL » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:35 am

To add to this, I seem to be running into this weird issue where I paint a material on something and only one side actually has the glass material on it.

When I look at a, say, flat circle from one side, it has the material. But when I look at the other side, it just shows a black material with nothing on it.

Would anyone happen to know what's causing this issue?

I don't want to have to flip the shape around just to see the material properly...

EDIT:

Oh, okay, I can flip the faces around in sketchup and this gives me the "correct" side that will show the materials properly as opposed to a black color.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1