Fresnel-expodent

Come here for help & support.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Antonis777

Fresnel-expodent

Post by Antonis777 » Fri May 30, 2014 1:18 am

What is the difference between fresnel and expodent scales? I 've started using expodent values and textures with Indigo but now fresnel confuses me a little. I 'd like to know the specific use of each one and how maps work. Thanks.

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Re: Fresnel-expodent

Post by bubs » Fri May 30, 2014 2:20 am

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong but...

Exponent is a measure of the sharpness/glossiness of the reflection, with white being unaffected and black being totally 'blurred' (for want of a better word)

Fresnel is a reflect - Yes /No - question with white being 'yes' and black 'no'

I've attached examples below of the same glossy sphere in a simple environment with all the same setting, but with the 'map' in the Exponent slot in one and in Fresnel slot in the other.

Hope this helps explain. :?
Attachments
map.jpg
fresnel.jpg
exponent.jpg

Antonis777

Post by Antonis777 » Fri May 30, 2014 2:51 am

They seem similar to me... And by that I mean if I put this map with larger values (b and c eg. 2000 and -1200) at the expodent bar I would create a yes-no reflecting area due to the big contrast. Right?

bubs
2nd Place Winner

Post by bubs » Fri May 30, 2014 3:05 am

They are definitely similar, however it gives you the benefit of being able to use them both to affect a material in different ways...

For example if you had tiles with grout between, you may not want the surface of the tile to be uniformly glossy, therefore want to use an Exponent map to affect the tile element, whilst at the same time using a different Fresnel map to ensure that the grout did not reflect at all... similarly with the joints between wood planks etc... Quite often my Fresnel map is similar to (or the same as) my Displacement map, whilst the Exponent is more similar to the Bump map with more contrast.

I'll be honest, I don't always use both, (I don't personally think you always need to) but play around, you may find it useful sometimes...

Antonis777

Post by Antonis777 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:40 am

Got that! Bump and displacement map was a perfect example, I use it also to affect different areas of geometry. It's now clear in my mind thanks!!

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:29 pm

..btw. it'e "expoNent" maps, Antonis, not expoDent :lol:

Antonis777

Post by Antonis777 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Oh mistake!!!!!......

7 posts • Page 1 of 1