Bump and displacement map wont work while rendering!

Come here for help & support.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
momonskie

Bump and displacement map wont work while rendering!

Post by momonskie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm

:x
Hi Everyone! I am new in using Indigo renderer, and I'm having problem in rendering a simple scene. I'm trying to create a scene of simple grass, I change the displacement map to Sketchup and put a scale of 0.03-0.05. The material editor previewed my grass material texture correctly. My problem is, when I render the scene, It creates no bump or displacement. It's very frustrating because my friend can create this simple scene without ease, it's just a simple scene of grass as material. I even tried to change the material by finding good ones from google, and it still wont work. I'm using SU 2013 and Indigo v3.6.23 beta and reverted my versions to SU Pro 8a and Indigo 3.4.19, but still no luck. Please help me thanks!
Attachments
No displacement.jpg
material editor.png

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Bump and displacement map wont work while rendering!

Post by Zom-B » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:58 am

Hoy mate, welcome to Indigo.

check out these great Video Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD14E96A2CD263FE1

Numero 7 is exactly what you need, but also give the others a try to have a good start into the usage of the program :)

I suggest you maybe have a to big scene scale set, or simply forgot to subdivide the ground mesh, since that is done separately with a Indigo subdiv tag...
polygonmanufaktur.de

momonskie

Post by momonskie » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:51 pm

Thanks for the reply mate Zom-b,

I've done several active mesh editing, like what on the video you shared says. But it creates unrealistic displacement and bumps, the grass now seemed to be a texture of tree bark or something, not grass blades. My friend showed me how he does it, he simply put a grass texture material, set the map to sketchup, scale it to 0.03, no mesh editing or some sort, then he simply rendered it with indigo and it shows a realistic 3D rendered image, the grass has blades. Now, I just followed what he's done, to my distress, the rendered grass scene never shows the bump or displacement at all, it simply remains flat. I just don't know where I fall short, I cant find any answer just yet, hope you guys might help me with this.
Attachments
blades.jpg
rendered grass with blades

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:59 am

momonskie wrote:... But it creates unrealistic displacement and bumps, the grass now seemed to be a texture of tree bark or something, not grass blades.
Doing Grass by displacement is super duper outdated and performance wise no good idea... it actually never was ;)
results will always look bad without vectordisplacement (that Indigo and many more renderers simply don't support atm).
I have to admit that I don't really get your problem, but since you try to make a coffee using a hammer, I better show you where the coffee machine is ^^

check this here out: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/vie ... 17&t=11527

Grass nowadays is done my splatting grass patches all over the target mesh. There are a lot of different tools & techniques to do that for many 3D apps and some are way better the others...
polygonmanufaktur.de

momonskie

Post by momonskie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:33 am

My friend is using an outdated Indigo v3.0.14 I think. What makes me frustrated is that he can create Grass blades by simply using the material editor and putting a reasonable bump/displacement scale (0.03-00.05)and without editing active mesh or putting subdivisions. He rendered the scene using his outdated Indigo and it shows me those "blades" of grass, which n my case, I cant really do successfully using my Indigo v3.6.23. I always ended up with a flat texture grass scene. I also followed the video Tutorial Number & you shared earlier, I tried to create a simple scene with rubble stone tiles, edited the active mesh and even put subdivisions. Here is what I got.
Attachments
bump.png
Rendered tiles

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:07 am

hey momonskie,

I have no idea how skindigo worked back in the 3.0 times, and actually don't know how it exactly works now, since I work with C4D only ...
Anyway I can tell you that Indigo doesn't create triangles to displace them out of thin air! Maybe the base mesh of your friend is already triangulated very strong, so Indigo takes the existing triangles and the result should look "decent".

The problem in the image you posted should jump you in your face mate! The polygons are triangulated into very long polys. For such long meshes you need to subdiv it by hand first.
The attached image shows your situation on the top left, and the way you need to divide it on the right. The bottom meshes are after some subdiv, to point out the problem:
screenshot.1.png
screenshot.1.png (6.96 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
here another Skindigo Displacement tutorial:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/documenta ... ome-carpet
polygonmanufaktur.de

momonskie

Post by momonskie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:45 am

May I asked you where can I find the fur plugin? does it really works like nice and real? Is it free?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:49 am

polygonmanufaktur.de

momonskie

Post by momonskie » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:59 am

seems pretty cool eh? got to try this one^^

9 posts • Page 1 of 1