Scaling UV Textures In Indigo RT & Blender

Come here for help & support.
14 posts • Page 1 of 1
ElectricShadow

Post by ElectricShadow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi everybody,

still finding my way around Indigo and am busy trying to render a interior scene. I have UV mapped the floor in the scene and if using Cycles I can easily just add in a node that will scale the texture. However, using Indigo and Blender I cannot find where to scale the texture, and my renders are coming out horrible!!

Would really appreciate some help!

Thanks!!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:26 pm

You need to scale the UV map up/down in the UV editor to scale the texture.
iMac 2.93 GHz Quad Core i7. 12 GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 5750M 1024 MB
OS X 10.10.3 Yosemite
Blender 2.72, Blendigo 3.8.25, Indigo 3.8.26

Trippy Lighting LLC - Colorful LED lighting systems
High Power RGB LED driver - Blog

ElectricShadow

Re: Scaling UV Textures In Indigo RT & Blender

Post by ElectricShadow » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:03 pm

That doesn't seem to work...

What I did was:

1) Loaded an image (RGB) of the floor texture in to the UV Editor
2) Unwrapped the floor using the project from view option
3) Scaled up the floor UV map to twice the size of the image

This did nothing though, still far too big for the floorboard size that I am looking for.

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:53 pm

Sometimes you'll have to quit edit mode so the changes are taken into account from blendigo.

Also be sure that you select the right UV-map in the material editor. A given object can have multiple UV's.

Do you have screenshots? Does Blender show the correct, desired size of the map in its textured 3D-mode? There is a little "lock"-button at the right bottom of the UV-editor, if you click it, you see the changes you do in real time in your 3D viewport (be sure to select the textured mode). This is pretty helpful!

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Or post the scene for us to look at if its not too big.

ElectricShadow

Post by ElectricShadow » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Ok! So I see what you mean, and now in the textured view I can see how much I need to scale up the UV map to get the desired result, BUT...

When I load it into Indigo, Indigo uses the colour field as a specular map which doesn't help at all. So if I load in the image into the colour RGB space, it has no UV values and only the image which is a problem.
Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 6.15.53 PM.png
Here is what it looks like in Blender:
Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 6.16.48 PM.png
What I also want to know is how do I add 2 bump maps to the single UV? Otherwise the bump map in indigo won't match the UV of the floor. Also, the texture I am using has 2 bump maps. One for the cracks between boards, and the other for wood grain detail. Indigo has space for only one bump texture. How do I get both?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:15 pm

Albedo and specular reflectivity are exclusive in Indigo, eventually to the advantage of the later.

Blend materials are designed to mix two different materials according to a transparency map (or a fixed blend value).

also you can use a map in the exponent channel alone: an exponent of 0.0 would lead to a perfect diffuse surface (not recommended though).

You could later use the Materials subforum in requesting help for the creation of specific materials.
obsolete asset

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:07 am

I don't get yet why your wooden floor would need the specular reflectivity setting. This works well for metals and such.
If you need a specular map, the name in Blendigo is exponent map. You'll find it pretty much at the bottom of the menue in Blendigo. As bump and diffuse map, it uses the very same UV-map per default.
A diffuse map + bump map + specular (=exponent) map work well together and can be set up within blendigo without hassle, no need to fix this in Indigo GUI.

BUT as CTZn pointed out, you'll need a blend material to get two bump maps working together. You could also mix the maps in your favourite image editor, but a blend material will give you more control: Set up two identical materials, and change the bump map in one of them. Then select a blend material for the object and choose the two materials you created to be blended. She slider controls the strength of each bump map in this case.

ElectricShadow

Post by ElectricShadow » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 am

Hi Polinal,

You're absolutely right, I don't want a Spec Map, but when I put the colour of the material as the RGB texture in Blender, when it exports to Indigo then Indigo reads that colour as the Specular and makes the colour blank (you can see in the first screenshot). I need to find a way to take that and put it back into the colour channel without losing the UV coordinates...

As for the two bump maps, thanks & thanks to CTZn, I will give the blend a go!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:50 am

I mentionned the blend material in order to have a mix of diffuse and metal, but for the double bump mapping scheme I think that the one defining cracks between boards ought to be used as displacement.

Geometry must be subdivided in order to reveal displaced features.
obsolete asset

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:37 am

Hey, in general, there is nothing wrong with using a specular map (=exponent map in Blendigo) on a wooden texture! In fact, you should make one for realism, as in real wood, light is not reflected equally on the whole surface.
What I meant: Just un-select the "specular reflectivity"-button in the phong material menu in blendigo. This might look weird on wood and cause you trouble. Or do you want a wooden floor with metal on it?
Please give a brief description of what you want to archieve, or an example pic.

As CTZn pointed out, a displacement map would be a good idea if you want bigger/deeper cracks. But most woods look good with bump only... really depends on what you want to archieve.

ElectricShadow

Post by ElectricShadow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:07 am

Ok cool, so I unchecked the specular reflectivity button in blendigo as suggested, but I'm not seeming to get the settings right because my floor looks atrocious!

So, I want to be able to generate this: (Image taken from the texturepack I purchased for this floor)
Screen-Shot-2013-07-09-at-5.59.27-PM.jpg
And this is what I'm getting (settings the same as the previous image posts except with the specular reflectivity removed). It is just a quick test render (50mins) so a lot of noise, but you can get the idea.
Screen-Shot-2013-07-10-at-10.54.42-PM.jpg

Polinalkrimizei

Post by Polinalkrimizei » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 am

Hey electrishadow,
you should make a really simple scene to test your materials or use the indigo material editor. To render the whole scene with its tricky lighting situation is a bit of an overkill in this situation. You can hardly tell any details from all that noise.
What you can tell: The texture still looks very streched.
Also, the pic from the texture pack clearly has an exponent map involved. so if you want to reproduce this look, you'll need to set up on, too.
I suggest trying a simpler scene (like the one from the texture pack) that renders fast and makes you see each and every detail. Finetuning will be much faster eventually.

ElectricShadow

Post by ElectricShadow » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:27 pm

Hey Polinal,

Hmmmm, you do indeed have a very good point there. I think a lot comes from my lack of understanding of Indigo being so new to it. Wish there were some tutorials out there. Anyway, I will try the matrial editor out.

As for the stretching, not sure, cause the texture seems nicely scaled in the texture view of blender... I might need some help later on with the scene maybe, I am probably going wrong somewhere in blender also.

Anyways, I'll give it a try and get back to you soon! Thanks for all the help!

14 posts • Page 1 of 1