Page 1 of 1

Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:39 pm
by luxiius
Hello.

I'm trying to render the sofa cloth material from the DB, but my outcome is this:
Image

when it should have looked like this:

Image

What is going wrong?
I haven't changed anything in the downloaded material.

I hope you guys can give me a point in the right direction.

Thanks!

Re: Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 pm
by Zom-B
you haven't done anything wrong at all :)

The creator of that material simply cheated by creating a Preview renderer that scales down by 50% and therefor tiles nicly. If you use that material inside your 3D app, then tiling will be UV controled and can be adjusted.

If you load that material into Indigo GUI you need to pick that material, click on the image in the scene tree that defines the diffuse color and raise both of the 1.0000 values in Scale/Rotation to 2.0 or higher.

Re: Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:17 pm
by galinette
I suppose that the author simply used smaller UV tiles when rendering the preview, so that's not a material issue, but a matter of how you define UV coordinates on the model.

Etienne

Re: Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 am
by luxiius
Thanks for the fast replies!

I hate to ask questions that probably seems like very basic stuff to you guys, but how do you control tile size of the UV map?
I'm using Blender and all the tutorials I've found on the subject, basically only covers how to apply a texture using UV maps. Here the texture is applied within the material.

Re: Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 pm
by Zom-B
luxiius wrote:how do you control tile size of the UV map?
All the magic should happen inside your 3D application, but since I'm not on Blender I can't tell....
Google to the rescue: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2 ... #Selecting

Re: Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:02 pm
by Polinalkrimizei
Hi luxiius, open the uv-editor while your mesh is selected, then press "a" to select everything while your mouse is inside the editor, then press "s" to scale. You'll want to scale your uv-map to be much smaller.

You can also open a normal 3D-window and set the view mode to "textured" to see the effect in real time.

Re: Material not rendering correctly.

Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:23 am
by luxiius
Got it working! Thanks for the great advice! :)