Page 1 of 1
Skin, skin, skin
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:27 am
by BbB
Someday I'll do a proper scene with these models (Blender+ZBrush). In the meantime, just testing some skin shaders. The maps for the bloke were painted by hand. The lady was textured from photos. Both have a blend of Phong and SSS. Letmeknowhatchathink.
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 am
by WLAD
cool

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:04 am
by aleksandera
Did you ewer see a sculpture and thought it was alive?
It doesn't come up to a shader that much
at the end.
However I'm wery glad you started this thread
I think old people dont hawe such shiny and colorful skin. They eaven have
less SSS (I like the model a lot!).
Think the biggest problem in Indigo is, that you can't use specular map
the right way, only with blendeing mat. That way you lose sss on
les shiny areas. Wrong???
Here is my dream:
Regards!

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:04 pm
by aleksandera
Sorry, talking to soon. Just doing my own Tests.
The trick is in mixing more than two materials.
Maybe I'l post them soon.
Keep it up!
Regards,
Aleksander
Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:12 pm
by Neobloodline
I think I saw her on another website you posted at, I think it was Makehumans website.. nice.
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:06 am
by aleksandera
ARGH!!!
My render get's black after a short time!!!
What is wrong?
Enybody????
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:47 am
by BbB
Neobloodline
Hi there. She looks kind of similar. But that's a different model. That's actually my wife, modeled in Blender from a cube (the things you can do with a cube). It started as an exercise in creating decent topology for SubD. The guy was also modeled from scratch.
aleksandera
That can happen when you mix specular materials (tho not all the time by any means) or when you have a specular-SSS object intersecting with a specular transparent. I don't know exactly when or why, but that's the reason I can't use speculars anymore to model the eyes on SSS heads...
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:34 am
by aleksandera
I hawe removed the intersecting specular transparent material and the second black material on the back of the eyes. It's ok again, but it looks crapy.
Whont call this a bug - just a bad modeling.
Think I'l try ZB now.
Thx!
Sorry for my b.a.
Regards,
Aleksander
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 pm
by lar111
Hey BbB nice models, now the skin..It looks quite good, but I think the skin on a previous render of yours looked better ( the one with girl and the ball ). Just my opinion, but I think the old guy looks too yellow and has too much shine on his skin.. And the girl has a blueish look to her, like she is holding her breath. And she looks very solid, it almost looks like a pure phong material ( maybe increase the proportion of sss used), the old guy has a more softer translucent look to him..Also the girl is showing a bit of yellow in the areas I would expect to see the sss showing ( around the edges of highlights )...Can I ask what are your sss settings are? I would guess at the moment that it is a yellowish setting ?..
I have been reading about skin shaders, and it seems that to be accurate you need to have a redish sss showing in areas of direct light and fading to a blueish tint in areas of indirect light..I have been thinking of trying a skin test using the hg parameter to try and get that sort of effect ( ie setting hg red to 0.2 and blue to 0.8 ), I haven't tried it as yet.
Oh BbB if the female model is your wife, does that mean the old guy is you ??
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:24 am
by Kram1032
The Exponents are quite high indeed... They should be around 10 and lower, if I remember correctly....
Maybe, the blend between phong and SSS should be controlled by an alpha map? - for example at the ears, the skin appears (even if it isn't) more translucent.... The SSS has a bigger impact. But you should generally use more SSS and less Phong, as it is right now.
I dunno, but I think, the yellow tone is fine. (Depending on Genetics, maybe...)
alexsandra: maybe it helps to fully model the eyes.... - or even the skull O.o (as the eyes shouldn't have so much influence, all through the skull)
If you simply import the collada output of MH 0.9.1 RC1, you get a simple basic scull to your mesh. You could use it as a basic and shape it, until it fits to the baby's skin

(and probably also it's eyes)
the obj output does not give you a skeleton.
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:45 am
by BbB
My attempt was not very scientific and is probably not very accurate. Also my monitor is not properly calibrated, so my colours may be all wrong.
As far as SSS is concerned, I tend to err on the side of caution as I think it's easy to overdo, which gives models a waxy look.
As far as reflections are concerned, giving the face an exponent of 10 doesn't really work as there are huge differences in roughness between different parts of the face (the nose is much shinier than the neck, for instance). I use a roughness map to control this (notice how the woman's lips are more reflective). You also need this roughness or specular map to replicate the "grain" of skin. But it makes it quite hard to set the overall reflectivity of the fact.
Aleksander: Good stuff, but you should let it render a bit longer. Check your ears, they look almost transparent.