Page 1 of 2

Sculpting and texturing experiment

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:33 pm
by BbB
I tried to achieve a "dusty" feel here, as in an antiques shop or an attic. Comments and criticism welcome, as well as ideas about how to take this forward.
(Modelled and textured in Blender, rendered for 14 hours on a P4 2.80G, 500m of RAM, using Indigo 08 stable and Blendigo exporter).
I've also added an early test.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:17 pm
by supraserv
Wow. Excellent. Maybe not so dusty but beautiful. The books' covers should have more variation to specularity. Keep it messed :-)

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:36 pm
by mrCarnivore
Nice image. The boxes look great!

But praises don't bring you forward, so let's go:

- the texture of the table in the first image looks too generic

- the metal material has too much bump. The deep scratches make the material look very soft like lead.

- the books look to uniformly dotted. What are the dots anyway?

- I really see no dust. not that the image needed dust...

I really like the boxes in the first image, though. Did you model the bump in the box in the background? Nice label on the front box!

In the second image the boxes look too clean and the texture too uniform.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:59 pm
by BbB
Hi Carnivore,
The ground texture on the first pic is cardboard. The map looks quite nice, but I've blown it up too much and lost detail. The problem is that it's not tileable, so I need to make it so before I reapply it.

I agree on the metal material, but I think it's less because of too-high bump value than because of the scratch map's resolution. I need to get a finer one.

The book is leather, a blend of diffuse and glossy materials with a specular map. This one looks too fine, I probably need to blow it up a bit.

As for the boxes, they have a mixture of bump maping and physically sculpted dents and bumps. That was the point of this exercise. I may post a render without any materials applied so you can see the sculpted bits.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:31 pm
by mrCarnivore
Finding the right size for your textures is definitely a tricky part!

Cardboard? Doesn't look anyting like it...

Forgot to mention the small metal balls in the first image. They look a little out of place. Maybe it's just the material, though. How about texturing/modeling them as real marbles or out of wood?

For the metal I would suggest smaller sized bumpmap AND less bump.

The book looks nothing like leather. Cna't tell you what to improve, though. Have you tried a simple material without blending? Where are the dots coming from?

I would really love to see an untextured render!

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:33 pm
by joegiampaoli
Geeeez!!!!!!!!!
That is totally way out!

Ilike the first one because of that (wrapping?) paper the way its all curled up and bent and the DOF is just great!

Nice work! :wink:

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:20 pm
by manitwo
great! great attention for details.
im looking forward to progress.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:45 pm
by BbB
Ok, here's another one. Halfway through rendering. I've replaced my cardboard material with a rugged wood tabletop, added some fabric in the background, made the bump in the tin box subtler and magnified the leather texture on the books. Now it should look a bit more leather-like hopefully.

Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:49 pm
by ThatDude33
Yeah that definately looks better. Although, it looked great anyway.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:24 am
by mrCarnivore
The metal box looks almost the same. You should really reduce bump more and reduce the texture size.

It doesn't really look like normal leather. There is too much colour variation. It almost looks like crocodile leather though. ;-)

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:32 am
by BbB
You may be right about the leather. I don't know. It's supposed to be very worn leather, where the velvety skin (diffuse) shows under the glossy original leather surface (phong). You know what I mean, you see this on old leather armchairs where the skin has become flaky. I guess in real life the book would be more worn at the spine. Oh well, got to do UV texture painting now...
(By the way, I should mention I stole that mat on the Maxwell website. Well the maps anyway. The rest are mine).

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:39 am
by suvakas
I have books that have similar covers. Ok. Maybe the variation is not so clean, but they are quite similar.

[edit]
Then again, i dont remember if they are printed or leather :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:50 am
by BbB
By the way, UV mapping does not cease to puzzle me. Does anybody know of a definitive tut on this, possibly using Blender?

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:15 am
by BbB
To finish for today, a quick and dirty 20m render with only a diffuse shader. No bumps here, just the geometry. Same lighting scheme.

Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:21 am
by CTZn
Any way to use this dust shader, Ono ?