Download Indigo beta 0.1 for OS X

For all Indigo users.
benn

Download Indigo beta 0.1 for OS X

Post by benn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Hi everyone,

Drumroll please...

Here it is. The Os X native version of Indigo with the new gui in place.

>> indigo.osx.0.1.zip

A few notes:

This is a beta version - it may have bugs and not be able to handle some scenes. But I want to know about all bugs you encounter. If you have any problems with the current version - post them onto this thread with some reproduction steps (ideally include a .zip of a minimal scene to reproduce the bug) and I'll add them to our list of bugs to fix.

There is more to come. There are lots of little things that need improvement, from the Indigo icon (which doesn't do transparency very well) - to having more configuration options in the gui. We also need icons for indigo scene files, better file associations.

I haven't included the blender and skindigo plugins. I'll work on those now - and hopefully release a version 0.2 of the os x beta very soon, with the blender and skindigo plugins and installers.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. :)

Enjoy!

Ben

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Windows release soon?

benn

Post by benn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm

Yup - Ill get ono to build it and it will be out within the week.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:54 pm

thx benn I'll install it on my wifes iMac right now :)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:10 pm

ok first impression. Very nice! It works in classic mac style (no brain engagement required) so 10 points for keeping with the mac paradigm!

Now first bug report :P

I opened the adaptive_displacement_shader_test.igs and after setting tonemapping to camera hit render. Again very impressed with the render info screen. However after initially flashing up the first update of the image I am now left with a solid white square instead of an image in the preview area. I decided to stop and save to png to see whether it was a preview display issue of if the switch to camera tonemapping had caused a super of exposure condition. The saved png is also pure white. So I figured I would open the scene again and this time render with the defaults. But this time around it is effectively hung on the building scene process. No error, just keeps on spinning away saying it's building scene.
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm

furthermore upon stopping the hung render (yes interface was still responsive) I opened another scene with the result being interface completely hung with the pinwheel pointer spinning away. So it would appear there are some issues with loading consecutive scenes or some such thing.

EDIT: Can confirm this behaviour is universal. Anytime I try to open a second scene without restarting indigo it will hang on building scene.

For reference this is an Intel iMac Core2Duo 2.8Ghz, OS X Leopard fully upgraded, with indigo installed in:
.../Applications/Indigo
and example folder at
.../Applications/Indigo/Example scenes
Last edited by WytRaven on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:18 pm

a slight cosmetic issue. The preview canvas does not always properly fit it's containing sunken frame when resizing the gui window. It can overlap the top part of the frame by a few pixels at times.

eman7613

Post by eman7613 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:46 pm

1.) The default rendering sizes should probably be some more standerd resolutions, like 640x480 isntead of 500x500

2) The open scene dialog will allow you to select multiple items (bad) and hitting open after accidentally doing so gives it the gremlins.
Yes i know, my spelling sucks

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:54 pm

Woke up at 4 in the night at my girlfriends place... cant sleep anymore... so I took her Laptop and sneaked into the kitchen to surf around the web and finally see that there is a first release :shock:

wtf! for the first time I miss my iMac... -.-

reporting back later!
polygonmanufaktur.de

crojack

Post by crojack » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:21 pm

ok first of, I think it looks great. fonts are a little weird. minor.

I was able to open and close a few scenes until I tried the same one as WytRaven.

I did not get the white box as he did, but I was not able to load any scenes after that, similar to his problem.

I than tried the Anti-Alias scene and it kept causing Indigo to crash.

box_emitter works great, but when I closed it and opened bumpmap_test, crashed Indigo, crash meaning it closes.

I just re-opened and tried the bump test again and it crashed Indigo.

Hope this helps. Should there be a dedicated Bug thread and maybe a standard format?

iMac Core 2 Duo
1 GB ram 667 MHz
fully updated Leopard

kellpossible

Post by kellpossible » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:25 pm

I can't wait to get in on the action, I wish I had a mac!

benn

Post by benn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks crojack, eman and wyt - the format you've got there is fine for now - i'll just reenter them into our bugtracking system - i'll formalize it later if needs be.

This is all great stuff - i probably won't be working much on indigo for the next day or so, but i'll look to have a new version out early next week with those bugs fixed.

Cheers for quoting the scenes that bust stuff too - that's really handy.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm

awesome stuff, ben!

if i try to render the diffuse_transmitter_test.igs it crashes.

Bobby

Post by Bobby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:25 pm

just tried...
The GUI is lovely, very stylish!
I've tested it with 3 scene:
- dof_test: render ok, but the preview is shown just once, then I see only a black canvas;
- diffuse_transmitter_test: crash;
- personal scene: crash;

Ben, can be useful the crash mac report? If yes I will send to you
Det. Thorn: I know, Sol, you've told me a hundred times before. People were better, the world was better...
Sol: Ah, people were always lousy... But there was a world, once.

carbon

Post by carbon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 pm

first bugfix: icon :)

(icon is stolen from manual, but there is in unsufficient resolution, so icon is just 128px now, i can do 512px version if you send me icon source or bigger image)

ps. i cant attach anything to the post here.. strange

c.

45 posts