Mac Installer?

A forum for exporter development discussion.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
Whaat
Developer

Mac Installer?

Post by Whaat » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:46 pm

I am not sure if its possible to write a Mac installer for an exporter. What's the best way to package an exporter for installation on a Mac? I see that Indigo on Mac uses a sparseimage file format that is compressed as a .gz file. Is there any advantage of this format over a standard ZIP file?

It would be simplest for me to package SkIndigo on Mac as a ZIP file. Is there a way that is more user friendly?

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Re: Mac Installer?

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:21 pm

If it helps whaat Mac OS will auto decompress compressed files after download and then "execute" things it understands. So when i download said sparseimage.gz it gets auto-decomped and then mounted and autorun.

Make sense? :lol:

Actually just let me check that 'cause I may not be 100% correct (definitely does it with .dmg)
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:24 pm

blendigo installer.zip auto-decomps and launches installer right out of safari post download
:idea: "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..." - Emerson 1841

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm

indigo sparseimage.gz auto-decomps, mounts, and open finder so one is ready to drg'n'drop to Applications.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:47 pm

WytRaven wrote:indigo sparseimage.gz auto-decomps, mounts, and open finder so one is ready to drg'n'drop to Applications.
Really? I don't think this has been my experience with the indigo spareseimage.gz. I always decompress with Stuffit and then I have to mount the image by double-clicking. Before I downloaded Stuffit, when I double-clicked on the .gz file, OSX didn't know how to open the file. (if I remember correctly)

However, I always use Firefox on my Mac. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'll try it with Safari and see what happens.

WytRaven
Indigo 100

Post by WytRaven » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm on 10.5.7 and using Safari 4. I don't have stuffit expander installed at all that I can tell. Not in my Apps folder or Apps/utils... If it's a third party util then I definitely don't have it installed.

benn

Post by benn » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Dale, if you look at the blender repository - there is an installer there for mac - it uses PackageMaker - i think we could do something similair for skindigo :)

Jeff Hammond
Indigo 100

Post by Jeff Hammond » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:43 am

WytRaven wrote:If it helps whaat Mac OS will auto decompress compressed files after download and then "execute" things it understands. So when i download said sparseimage.gz it gets auto-decomped and then mounted and autorun.

Make sense? :lol:

Actually just let me check that 'cause I may not be 100% correct (definitely does it with .dmg)
that's actually a safari preference setting that allows this to happen.
Safari/Preferences/General/Open "safe" files after downloading

fwiw, most mac installers are packaged as a dmg which contain either the app for drag/drop to the applications folder or the actual install package (.pkg or .mpkg for example)

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:53 am

Jeff Hammond wrote:fwiw, most mac installers are packaged as a dmg which contain either the app for drag/drop to the applications folder or the actual install package (.pkg or .mpkg for example)
Install packages are for wosses :mrgreen:

9 posts • Page 1 of 1