Standard UI icons

A forum for exporter development discussion.
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Whaat
Developer

Standard UI icons

Post by Whaat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:00 am

This is mainly directed at benn. :) I hate creating UI icons. Maybe you or someone else could create some standard icons for the exporters for functions such as:

- Material Editor
- Render Settings
- Launch Indigo/Render ->I currently use the Indigo logo which I think is a good idea.
- any others?

My two cents: I hate huge toolbars with tons of icons. I would prefer to keep to the basics: Render/Launch Indigo, Material Editor, and Render Settings

Render Settings can contain other settings such as tonemapping, and camera settings.
Thanks!

SmartDen
Developer

Re: Standard UI icons

Post by SmartDen » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:32 am

what do we need icons for?! is text not enought? and why should i rewrite the UI to hide camera and tonemappping satting under Render settings? Blender users are familiar with the old UI, should i really change it? i don't think so
Check normals, dude!

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:43 am

SmartDen wrote:what do we need icons for?! is text not enought? and why should i rewrite the UI to hide camera and tonemappping satting under Render settings? Blender users are familiar with the old UI, should i really change it? i don't think so
I don't know much of blender but in Cinema one has icons which occupy a lot less space then text ever would, and a place where text appears when the mouse is over the icon explaining what the icon does. IMO it's a much better to look then to read, when the icon is a rightful representation of the function that is...

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:14 am

SmartDen wrote:what do we need icons for?! is text not enought? and why should i rewrite the UI to hide camera and tonemappping satting under Render settings? Blender users are familiar with the old UI, should i really change it? i don't think so
Hey SmartDen,
I know Blendigo and Blender do not utilize icons to a great extent, but some of the other exporters do. For those exporters that DO use icons, I am only suggesting to make them consistent.
I'm not thrilled about changing my UI either, but I think we all will need to make some compromises for the sake of consistency.

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:23 am

Whaat wrote:but I think we all will need to make some compromises for the sake of consistency.
yes, +1
Whaat wrote:This is mainly directed at benn. :) I hate creating UI icons. Maybe you or someone else could create some standard icons for the exporters for functions such as:

- Material Editor
- Render Settings
- Launch Indigo/Render ->I currently use the Indigo logo which I think is a good idea.
- any others?
I actually have icons already, but they are not indigo at all (except the color :P ).

I'd need a few more:

- Indigo Instance
- Material Import
- About
- Camera
- Indigo subdivison
- Light
- Material Conversion

benn

Post by benn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Smartden, the recommendation is to make the UI look as much like the native app as possible, but having standard dialogs will be needed. If there's a need to rewrite part of the UI we'd want you to do so, but whatever.

The icons we use for the gui are nuvola, i'd recommend starting with those.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:41 pm

This, in Maya ???

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Errh... no way ??? Certainly that's ok for a product acquired by Gaagle **<- cough, I do pay my respect to SketchUp**... but not even: coz precisely, just like whaat, I'm using the indigo logo in shades of gray to start the exporter suite, and a coloured one to export.

But okay, some mockup of what these standard dialogs (wich are these ?) should look like could help us figure out what you are after.

edit: all in one I'm very much seconding whaat's last post :)
obsolete asset

PureSpider

Post by PureSpider » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:54 pm

What about using famfamfam's famous Silk Icons?

fused
Developer

Post by fused » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 am

PureSpider wrote:What about using famfamfam's famous Silk Icons?
+1

There are some nice money icons!!!! :lol: :mrgreen:

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:35 am

:lol: :mrgreen:
+1
obsolete asset

10 posts • Page 1 of 1