Selective tone mapping?

A forum for exporter development discussion.
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
neo0.

Selective tone mapping?

Post by neo0. » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:22 pm

What if you only wanted to tone map select parts of a render?

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:25 pm

You'd have to isolate the light emitted from only certain parts of the scene.

This can be done in blender with render layers, but I don't think indigo has any such support. And I'm not completely sure it's doable.
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Wait, that depends on what you mean neo. You can duplicate an image with different tonemapping settings, then stitch parts together as you wished them. But before you ask for more you should be more explanative yourself on what you meant.

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:12 am

Indigo HAS layerlight... Though, this doesn't allow a total light change. You can multipy the XYZ components of the light-group and the brightness of it in total by a certain factor, which gives you brightness and colour control. Not a whole own Tonemapping...

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, for example.. Take my space scene.. I want to brighten up the stars but I don't want the clouds to glow like they're radioactive or something..

Borgleader

Post by Borgleader » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:01 pm

neo0. wrote:Well, for example.. Take my space scene.. I want to brighten up the stars but I don't want the clouds to glow like they're radioactive or something..
Isnt your background just one image? Like what that other guy did with his star wars scene?
benn hired a mercenary to kill my sig...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:40 pm

"Is it an hdri anyway", is asking Borgleader ? ;)

You will not succed with a real paint and brush, try photoshop or gimp instead... ahem you know these softs allow you to select the portion of the image you want to work on. Okay neo, ask yourself your question and I'm sure you'll find a nice way, like using small weak emitters or putting hole in the plane to show an emitter behing, or draw white pixels or whatever... There are so many ways, and it's so easy to find one that you should take one moment of reflection before asking, really you are not nasty but harrassing :P

So, the question you really want to ask yourself is: "How can I make the stars showing more, or be brighter?". When you came to several options evaluate wich one you would like to apply, try it and then try the others if the first failed.

neo0.

Post by neo0. » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Borgleader wrote:
neo0. wrote:Well, for example.. Take my space scene.. I want to brighten up the stars but I don't want the clouds to glow like they're radioactive or something..
Isnt your background just one image? Like what that other guy did with his star wars scene?
Yep, but rendering things changes the look of that image as a background. Im stil waiting for skindigo to support rendering background images. That would be amazing.

pixie
Indigo 100
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by pixie » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:49 am

9 posts • Page 1 of 1