Exporting: Generic Discussions

A forum for exporter development discussion.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
CTZn

Exporting: Generic Discussions

Post by CTZn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:59 am

Hi there, I'm glad to introduce myself as the moderator, under supervision, of this new forum !

To fire things up you need a hug, here is the place.

In project is a thread dedicated to giving visibility to the people creating exporters, devs, this place is yours !

:!: Users, please not that the forum around this thread is dedicated to developers, so if you find that you can post there please think twice before doing so, since irrelevant entries will be actively processed. You are advised to contact the developer of the exporter you use in the Exporters forum.
Last edited by CTZn on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmartDen
Developer

Post by SmartDen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:24 pm

i have a question to other exporters devs, how do you organize the instance export. i mean how do you determinate what mesh is the origin and do you handle the object matrices?
Check normals, dude!

rgigante

Post by rgigante » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:27 am

In XSIndigoExporter i'm able to handle hierarchical tree of instances, this means i'm able to process instances belonging to other instances and so on.
The process is simple:
- with a recursion function i browse the tree and i store for each leaf object the local transformation matrix;
- then going back in the recursion i simply multiply the local matrix by its parent local (whatever the parent is an instance or a simple instance locator)

Than i can take care about the position of each instanced element.

Hope it helps, R.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:48 am

rgigante wrote:The process is simple:
- with a recursion function i browse the tree and i store for each leaf object the local transformation matrix;
- then going back in the recursion i simply multiply the local matrix by its parent local (whatever the parent is an instance or a simple instance locator)
thats pretty similar to what i do in cindigo.

CTZn

ISL strings

Post by CTZn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:18 am

How does your exporter handle isl code ?

My plan for MtI is to have one single xml string enclosing various tags, for each material. Each "main" string will be split per tag (<exponent>, <ior>, whatever) into sub-strings.

Do I need to have two separated indexes for outputing this string data out of a procedure ? I mean one string array for the name (ie exponent) and other string array with the actual content ?

Is there a better way to do so, like pre-defining a dictionary of xml tags and assigning content for each, then querying if there actually is a content at export time ? I'm really fuzzy on data flow between procedures, anyway if you explain some of the ways you use I'll have better clues.

Of cours, I know that each host app has a different architecture but my problem is generic I believe. By the way you must know that there is one single string entry per material in MtI, and THIS is not going to change (edit: you can now scratch the later).

Thanks !

5 posts • Page 1 of 1