How to handle invalid IGMs

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Whaat
Developer

How to handle invalid IGMs

Post by Whaat » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:38 pm

I know the material database is in it's very early stages but there are going to be lots of frustrated users trying to download invalid IGMs.

For example, the good dr. has posted some great materials, but I have yet to find one that meets the IGM/PIGM spec. The 'old tile' PIGM that was posted actually has two IGM files inside the PIGM. Plus, the PIGM includes a 'textures' folder containing the material textures. Indigo cannot (currently) unpack this file because the textures are not in same folder as the IGM file.

I am not trying to pick on the dr. But something must be done before the database is flooded with IGM files that cannot be loaded by the exporters.

Will there be a database moderator? Someone needs to have the ability to delete invalid IGMs or somehow mark them as invalid so users are aware of the files that do not meet the spec.

Probably the best solution would be if the Database would validate the IGM/PIGM when the user uploads it. I do not know how easy this is to do. If that is not possible, I think that all of the exporter writers should be moderators of the database (as a minimum) and have the ability to remove materials from the database that are not valid.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:56 pm

Hi Whaat,

I think Fused is going to work on a IGM/PIGM validator that will ensure that all uploaded files are valid according to the spec.

It sounds like an Indigo bug that it cannot unpack files in subdirs, I'll look into that.

There is a moderation capability in the MatDB, currently me and fused are moderators.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:59 pm

yes, ill work on the validation asap.

the "mark as invalid" sounds like a good idea. i could easily do that with the notification system.

drBouvierLeduc

Post by drBouvierLeduc » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:42 am

Hoooops, I didn't check the material I uploaded in the matdb, as I used indigo's pack command. I promise I'll be more carefull next times ! And no prob with mats being moderated.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:27 pm

fused wrote:yes, ill work on the validation asap.

the "mark as invalid" sounds like a good idea. i could easily do that with the notification system.
Thanks so much for your work on this, fused. It would be good if you (or someone) could take the time to validate the materials that have already been uploaded to the database. I would be willing to help you with this. Some materials are missing textures (displacement maps) and many others do not conform to the spec. Materials that are missing textures should be removed from the database. Some materials that do not meet the spec could be hand-edited and updated. Again, I might be able to help you with this until you have completed the auto-validation code.

Whaat
Developer

Post by Whaat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:50 am

fused wrote:yes, ill work on the validation asap.

Hi fused!

Any progress with this?? Thanks for all your work! :)

6 posts • Page 1 of 1