I can't get the Stained Glass material to work properly

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
13 posts • Page 1 of 1
Sharkyzero

I can't get the Stained Glass material to work properly

Post by Sharkyzero » Wed May 29, 2013 12:32 pm

I downloaded the main material for stained glass from the uber Sketchup user (forget his name at the moment) and nothing happens. There's no light shining through, it just appears black. I have windows working perfectly fine underneath it because they're just glass. I understand the concept of making a box for windows. Why is the stained glass not working? Also, how do you use an image to act as a window (I stain glassed it in Photoshop)?
SketchUp user since March 2013

galinette
1st Place Winner

Re: I can't get the Stained Glass material to work properly

Post by galinette » Wed May 29, 2013 6:28 pm

Just did a quick test and it works:
stained.png
As you seem to begin, don't forget the basics : closed volume, UV coordinates, linked IGM (I did no more)
Also, for best results, the UVs should be projected and matching on both sides (otherwise you have two unmatching stained glass patterns which get superimposed)

I did a picture-based stained glass once, but it was fairly complicated. No need to stain the picture in photoshop (the shader does it). Material and preview attached (no warranty though)
Attachments
stained.jpg
stainedglass-picture.pigm
(246.08 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Thu May 30, 2013 2:35 am

Direct from the source! Thanks. I'm unsure by what you mean when you mention UV projection. I've just been putting the stained glass material on a created material and it appears almost black right off the bat. Am I missing certain steps? I'm still exceptionally green (2 months in SU at this point in time) and it's causing me to ask questions I'm not rather proud to ask. -_-

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu May 30, 2013 4:51 am

Sharkyzero wrote:Direct from the source! Thanks. I'm unsure by what you mean when you mention UV projection. I've just been putting the stained glass material on a created material and it appears almost black right off the bat. Am I missing certain steps? I'm still exceptionally green (2 months in SU at this point in time) and it's causing me to ask questions I'm not rather proud to ask. -_-
About the projected UV, that's not a requirement to have something basically working, so I will explain later. It should not be related to the black render.

Did you use "Linked IGM" as material type in SketchUp? Complex materials such as the ones using shaders should not be opened in SkIndigo directly, because it does not understand them. "Linked IGM" allows SkIndigo to pass the material as a simple file link to Indigo, without trying to open it. With many materials from the database, this is required.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 am

Yeah, I did the linked IGM (something I hadn't done before with this particular material) and here's what I got once I made a 6mm thick rectangle. I then made sure I selected all faces and applied the linked Stained Glass material.

My result;
Attachments
stainedglassnotworking.jpg

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 am

Strange, I did exactly the same...

Is this a possible Indigo RT limitation?

Could you attach the .skp?

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Thu May 30, 2013 5:50 am

Here you are, good sir. I'll keep fiddling here...but you're making me want to look at the render engine now. I'll be checking the specs to make sure I have the capability software-wise.

It's absurdly humorous to me that this glass setup that eludes me is the only thing keeping me from a rendered image. I've been stuck here since yesterday afternoon. :P
Attachments
Puzzle_for_Etienne.zip
(31.48 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
Last edited by Sharkyzero on Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Thu May 30, 2013 5:55 am

I seem to have Indigo Renderer 3.4.18 if that helps at all.

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 am

I wonder if I'm rendering properly >_>

I use the bidirectional with MLT when I'm truly trying to get something nice. I don't know why I use this, I just read somewhere when I was a newborn SU user that this was the ideal for interior shots.

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 am

This worked with your scene. Apparently, you did not set UV mapping, which is required by the shader. For this, you need to set a placeholder texture image in sketchup material properties (sketchup, not skindigo). Any texture will work, as it will not be displayed in the render, just in sketchup for doing the UV mapping (the texture scaling and position). Sketchup is quite limited regarding UV mapping, and will generate it only if you set a texture image in its material properties.

By the way, there should be a FAQ about how to use linked IGM with UV mapping! This is a frequently asked question!

Here are the steps I did:
- I went to the Plugins>Skindigo>Material Editor. Choosed "Stained Glass" from the material list. Clicked on "UI" to enable the material type and choose "Linked IGM". It was not set as linked IGM when I opened your file, but apparently you tried it already.
- Then, I select the igm (or pigm) file link. Skindigo asks me if I want to set a texture (the placeholder texture) and I say yes. You could also do this manually later in the sketchup material editor dialog, but here we click on Yes. I choose a square texture image, any will do the work.
- In order to scale the stained glass cells, I go the sketchup material editor, in the "edit" pane. My texture was scaled to ten inches by default, I enter "2m" instead, for 2 meters. You can try different scalings.
- Plugins>Skindigo>Render scene

Et voila:
stained.png
Eclat-Digital Research

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Thu May 30, 2013 11:06 am

I...I think I love you. I know we've just met...but these feelings...

I don't know if you're a male or a female, but you are "The Man" either way. Thank you very much for taking the time to sort out my situation! It means a lot my friend.

I am staring at proper stained glass for the first time and I'm afraid to click out of it for fear of not being able to put it into the church I'm working on. :lol: Now I can move on to other issues like the UV mapping not being the way I'd like it to be (the UV not being the same on both sides, as you described). 8) I know that when I truly get up on my feet with my works, it will be due in large part to the assistance of people like you helping us beginners out. Off I go to get a decent image rendered!

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri May 31, 2013 1:23 am

Yeah Etienne has a strong science-appeal ;D
obsolete asset

Sharkyzero

Post by Sharkyzero » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:08 am

One more thing if I may; how does one manipulate the colors of the stained glass?

13 posts • Page 1 of 1