New materials ???

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
9 posts • Page 1 of 1
tarikb

New materials ???

Post by tarikb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm

Why don't u admins make new Competition for best materials, because indigo renderer material database is weak, good but there are not much materials in it.. And its growing very slow.. Advance indigo users don't need as much materials, but not all users are that good, to make materials by there on.. If u understand me, what i am talking about.. I am indigo user, for 3 years, and and i know how helpfull materials in database can be.. Thnx
Skindigo
i7 5820K @3.3Ghz | GTX 660 Ti 3gb

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: New materials ???

Post by Zom-B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:29 pm

tarikb wrote:Advance indigo users don't need as much materials, but not all users are that good, to make materials by there on...
If you skip your "material setup training" by always using MDB, then you'll end up with no skill after so long time -.-'
The try and error material development is very important to get a feeling for the material system in each renderer. Skip that process and you just betray yourself :)

On the other hand a material challenge can finally be such a training for less experienced people too, as long as the participate and not only wait for the outcome :P
polygonmanufaktur.de

dakiru
Indigo 100

Post by dakiru » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:40 pm

Zom-B wrote:If you skip your "material setup training" by always using MDB, then you'll end up with no skill after so long time -.-'
The try and error material development is very important to get a feeling for the material system in each renderer. Skip that process and you just betray yourself :)
What he said.
Plus, it's quite fun to fail for dozens of of times to get some specific material, from my own experience.

Zom-B wrote:On the other hand a material challenge can finally be such a training for less experienced people too
ISL-free competiotions then. :mrgreen:

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 pm

dakiru wrote:
Zom-B wrote:On the other hand a material challenge can finally be such a training for less experienced people too
ISL-free competitions then. :mrgreen:
Maybe with a special ISL category ^^
polygonmanufaktur.de

tarikb

Post by tarikb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Thats very interesting if u have a lot of time, i am architect and my time is OMG i don't have time, if u know what i mean, rendering is just one of the parts of my work, everything that saves my time, is priceless, i use indigo, but other programs have biger material database, and thats fact, but non of them can compare whit indigo, thats why i use indigo, and also, i paid money for indigo :)
Skindigo

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 am

Hi tarikb,
What kind of materials are you after?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:36 am

tarikb wrote:Thats very interesting if u have a lot of time, i am architect and my time is OMG i don't have time...
Same as you I have 24h per day ;)
I only want to encourage you to invest some hours (in your private free time!) to learn the shit you earn your money with! :P
That knowledge will save you a ton of time on the long run and even more important end up with better looking results.
Even most of the premade materials need some tweaking and adjustments to fit better in existing scenes, raising the output quality.
A well organized texture database on your HDD also helps a lot to speed up material creation.
In my workflow material creation is still the quickest and easiest of all parts, but thats maybe because I'm slow on modeling etc. :D
polygonmanufaktur.de

tarikb

Post by tarikb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:53 am

I'm just saying that it wouldn't cost nothing, and it will be usefull for program and user, if u make material competition.. :) Thanks for answering..
Skindigo

trutextures

Post by trutextures » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Zom-B wrote:
tarikb wrote:Thats very interesting if u have a lot of time, i am architect and my time is OMG i don't have time...
Same as you I have 24h per day ;)
I only want to encourage you to invest some hours (in your private free time!) to learn the shit you earn your money with! :P
That knowledge will save you a ton of time on the long run and even more important end up with better looking results.
Even most of the premade materials need some tweaking and adjustments to fit better in existing scenes, raising the output quality.
A well organized texture database on your HDD also helps a lot to speed up material creation.
In my workflow material creation is still the quickest and easiest of all parts, but thats maybe because I'm slow on modeling etc. :D
I agree that materials should not be supplied by the thousands but I do think tutorials and training is very weak.

I glanced at the Manual but the vast majority is aimed at settings and effects for various exporting applications programs which I don't need or use. (At least I don't think I do) I only need Indigo to render a material test scene.

The information on actual materials and settings (In particular when working with bitmaps) is very limited so I have played, messed, failed, tweaked and succeeded on many occasions but it DOES take time but then so does learning Photoshop or Illustrator.

Adobe don't pack their software with ready made textures or photos, its software that you use to "create" content but it is backed up with a lot of training mainly by third parties.

The forums here have been very good but I do feel an idiot asking basic questions which I would like to have found in the manual.

The videos on Youtube are great but they stop short at working with bitmaps really.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1