ISL fruits

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
4 posts • Page 1 of 1
CTZn

ISL fruits

Post by CTZn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:48 am

Hi, for starters I want to share a shader that will turn a sphere into an apple.

The material status is: WIP snapshot. There is a seam visible in the albedo shader, I'll try to do this part with a 3d parameter.

Each apple though, including instanced meshes, is guaranteed to have a unique albedo.

This version of the shader preserves the sphere's width. I think that the apple will come upside down :D

Would you use such a material for production ?
Attachments
apple.igm
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
apples2d - public test 1.jpg
obsolete asset

OnoSendai
Developer

Re: ISL fruits

Post by OnoSendai » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:59 am

Not bad!
Needs a stalk in the top.
I was thinking of trying to model a tomato in a similar fashion.
I'll probably make it using a parametric surface though, so no sphere is required.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 am

Please do add your contributions at will. I didn't think of using parametric surfaces.

Well that's the idea. The code is crap yet :) (e: albedo specially)

For tomatoes, I was thinking of a scatter shader using the displacement code to set limits, using the same radial distribution. See what I mean ? The pulp, with seeds eventually (secondary parametric object ?) discriminated from the flesh.

PS: back then an apple was my first serious procedural material with Maya, with a grainy skin and stuff. Shading LOD can be pushed ahead off course.
Last edited by CTZn on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsolete asset

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 am

OnoSendai wrote:Needs a stalk in the top.
That will be up to the user, but for an easy placement the displacement should augment the apple radius to preserve the stalk root point, leading to a trickier placement of the apple itself in the scene.

edit: now with parametric surfaces that's different, there are more options than with displacement indeed in order to shift a stalk over its height.
obsolete asset

4 posts • Page 1 of 1