Material emission strength

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
8 posts • Page 1 of 1
baka

Material emission strength

Post by baka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:46 am

I have a scene illuminated by 3 planes placed 50 cm away from a lightbox and I'm trying to adjust the exposure. The material has blackbody for base emission with gain value 1. The image is extremely overexposed, the only way to get it under control is to set camera exposure to 1/1000 or EV adjust to -10.
Why is the emission so strong?

CTZn

Re: Material emission strength

Post by CTZn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:53 am

If no emission scale is specified, a gain of 1 is extremely high indeed for a blackody, specifically. You should adapt the emission value instead of twisting the exposure, in this case you want to reduce the blackbody's gain.
obsolete asset

baka

Post by baka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 am

How come the lights in the material preview scene have the same gain but the image isn't overexposed?

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 am

baka wrote:How come the lights in the material preview scene have the same gain but the image isn't overexposed?
They have emission scales defined. The emission scale overrides the material gain on a per-object basis, to match the requested lumen value. This means, when the emission scale is used, that blackbody gain has no effect.

Using emission scale is quite exporter-dependent, which one do you use?

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

baka

Post by baka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:20 am

I figured as much, I'm exporting with indigo for max and there's all sorts of things missing one of them being emission scale.It wouldn't have been too annoying but indigo render doesn't have that setting either which led me to wonder what was wrong.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:17 am

baka wrote:It wouldn't have been too annoying but indigo render doesn't have that setting either which led me to wonder what was wrong.
Emission scale applies per Object as you will find them in the Scene lister. This systems adapts emission powers to square surfaces, sort of I think.
obsolete asset

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 am

CTZn wrote:
baka wrote:It wouldn't have been too annoying but indigo render doesn't have that setting either which led me to wonder what was wrong.
Emission scale applies per Object as you will find them in the Scene lister. This systems adapts emission powers to square surfaces, sort of I think.
To any surface. It computes the material base candela.sr output, then the object area, whose product give the base lumen output. It then scales the emission power accordingly to match the specified lumen output
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

baka

Post by baka » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:08 am

That did the trick, thanks for the help guys.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1