Blend mat with bump, and image parameters

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
FakeShamus

Blend mat with bump, and image parameters

Post by FakeShamus » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:40 am

Hi, a couple material requests, for those who control these things :)
It seems that blended materials only inherit the bump from one (the first?) material being blended. Is this the case?
Is it at all possible to retain separate bump maps for each material in a blend? For example, in the recent "snowy rock" material I made, I want the rock part to have a sharper, more detailed bump, while the snowy material uses a blurrier bump to make it look smoother. I don't know the specific limitations regarding this, but I would also extend the request to displacement maps, if at all possible.

As a separate issue, I think it would be good to be able to define specific image file paths when incorporating them in ISL shaders. I've found that you can hand edit materials to reference an image in ISL, but then, once opened in indigo, as soon as you tweak any of the shader settings, it loses the link to your image texture and renders a black albedo. Any thought on this from the developers?

Thanks!

CTZn

Re: Blend mat with bump, and image parameters

Post by CTZn » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:43 pm

FakeShamus wrote:Hi, a couple material requests, for those who control these things :)
It seems that blended materials only inherit the bump from one (the first?) material being blended. Is this the case?
Is it at all possible to retain separate bump maps for each material in a blend? For example, in the recent "snowy rock" material I made, I want the rock part to have a sharper, more detailed bump, while the snowy material uses a blurrier bump to make it look smoother. I don't know the specific limitations regarding this, but I would also extend the request to displacement maps, if at all possible.
I can reproduce this, I'd call it a bug; At some point I came locally to the conclusion that the bump from the material A would not show if both blended materials were to use displacement. Then after ticking on and off bump and displacement for each materials into different conbinations, I came eventually with a full resolution of the issue.

Also, changing a blend shader will not apply to displacements until the render is restarted.
FakeShamus wrote:As a separate issue, I think it would be good to be able to define specific image file paths when incorporating them in ISL shaders. I've found that you can hand edit materials to reference an image in ISL, but then, once opened in indigo, as soon as you tweak any of the shader settings, it loses the link to your image texture and renders a black albedo. Any thought on this from the developers?
Yes, after any tweak Indigo will cease using the shipped reference for the material actual texture index. If the material has no texture used then the shader will read black instead.

In my opinion this thread belongs to the bugs and requests thread :)

edit: attaching my test scene.
Attachments
shadingPlaneISLBlendTestScene.jpg
shadingPlaneISLBlendTestScene.pigs
the plane is coming subdivided already.
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
obsolete asset

2 posts • Page 1 of 1