Terrain shader

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
wlf_alex

Terrain shader

Post by wlf_alex » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:15 am

Hola !

Using terrain mask in C4D you can make a shader which allows creation of very realistic landscapes (see example) :

(test scene made by c4d-jack : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1015166 )

Is it possible to make similar material in Indigo (Cindigo) ? Convert materials function does not give satisfying results :-(

regards
ArchiCAD 14, Cinema 4D r13, IndigoRender, VrayforC4D

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: Terrain shader

Post by fused » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 am

Hi wlf_alex,

C4D shaders are ony supported via baking to texture and may not always give perfect results.

You could bake the shaders onto the object, which should give you better results.

Cheers!

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 am

fused wrote:Hi wlf_alex,

C4D shaders are ony supported via baking to texture and may not always give perfect results.

You could bake the shaders onto the object, which should give you better results.

Cheers!
same shit :(

if I understand correctly it must be a shader on the similarity "snow cover rough"..

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Terrain shader

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:12 am

If C4D says "remapping groups" during baking process it should work.
Did you bake the texture or the object?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:37 am

zeitmeister wrote:If C4D says "remapping groups" during baking process it should work.
Did you bake the texture or the object?

Yes, I did both..

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 am

wlf_alex wrote:same shit :(
Why not adjust shaders my hand?! bump and displacement scale need adjustment for such a big scaling scene.
How about raising baking resolution of the material from the default 1024x1024.

Material auto converting via Plugin is always just a start, no final solution :roll:
polygonmanufaktur.de

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:23 am

Zom-B wrote:
wlf_alex wrote:same shit :(
Why not adjust shaders my hand?! bump and displacement scale need adjustment for such a big scaling scene.
How about raising baking resolution of the material from the default 1024x1024.

Material auto converting via Plugin is always just a start, no final solution :roll:
The value of the resolution is 2048x2048 pixels baking. But the problem is not that. In the original scene Jack uses the "terrain mask" to create the shader. Indigo does not have these tools. Only material "snow cover rough" ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/725 ) is slightly similar to the "terrain mask". But I do not know Japanese (ISL), so asked for help from the super people. :)

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Terrain shader

Post by zeitmeister » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:56 pm

If you could send me the C4D-file I'll give it a try!

Cheers, David

·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

zeitmeister wrote:If you could send me the C4D-file I'll give it a try!

Hi, zeitmeyster !
Thanks for the reply.
here's the complete scene file http://www.c4d-jack.de/darkside/Terrain_Test_R13.rar (29.3 MB)
(from CG forum : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1015166)

regards

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:38 am

wlf_alex wrote:Only material "snow cover rough" ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/725 ) is slightly similar to the "terrain mask". But I do not know Japanese (ISL), so asked for help from the super people. :)
There are some notes in the ISL code that I added which should make it clear how to tweak the color and amount of coverage for that material. You dont really need to know all the ISL, just what numbers to tweak. I also made a version which uses the same concept but applies it to a blend material, so you could set up, for example, a rock material and a foliage material and blend them based on the slope of your terrain. I will try and upload that soon.

wlf_alex

Post by wlf_alex » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:09 am

FakeShamus wrote:
wlf_alex wrote:Only material "snow cover rough" ( http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/725 ) is slightly similar to the "terrain mask". But I do not know Japanese (ISL), so asked for help from the super people. :)
There are some notes in the ISL code that I added which should make it clear how to tweak the color and amount of coverage for that material. You dont really need to know all the ISL, just what numbers to tweak. I also made a version which uses the same concept but applies it to a blend material, so you could set up, for example, a rock material and a foliage material and blend them based on the slope of your terrain. I will try and upload that soon.
Thanks for the reply FakeShamus !
It will be interesting to play with your new material. Ono is already testing a new fractal type. :shock:
I look forward to the results.
Thanks a lot, guys.

regards..

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Terrain shader

Post by zeitmeister » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Okay.
Indigo can't "bake" any procedural shaders which modes are anything but "Texture (UV)". The other modes like world or object are being transformed to UV during export.
The Terrain Mask Shader isn't UV-based, so this won't work here.
I would recommend to bake only the terrain mask shader in greyscale on a lowpoly version of the terrain mesh and transport the resulting UV via VAMP to the highpoly terrain mesh.
After that you can use this greyscale texture in the original terrain shader instead of the terrain mask shader.

Cheers, David

·

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:12 am

here's the blend version of the snow cover material: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1132
easy enough to replace the 2 materials I have in there now with your own ground/rock and some sort of green vegetation instead of the snow. this is very basic, though - I would live to see some real procedural terrain shaders built into Indigo, with easy to use parameters.

OnoSendai
Developer

Post by OnoSendai » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 am

FakeShamus wrote:here's the blend version of the snow cover material: http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1132
easy enough to replace the 2 materials I have in there now with your own ground/rock and some sort of green vegetation instead of the snow. this is very basic, though - I would live to see some real procedural terrain shaders built into Indigo, with easy to use parameters.
Hi FakeShamus, you may have seen the multifractal terrain render I posted in the simple renderings thread.
The tricky thing about writing terrain shaders is that it is difficult and slow to do erosion, which is a major factor in real terrain.

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:12 am

hey Ono,
yeah the multifractal is looking really good. having used terragen quite a lot to do mountains I know how slow it can be. I usually use their "alpine" fractal, which must have some erosion built in.

here's another material I was just testing out, using the same blend concept, but with a sort of mossy cover to it:
http://www.indigorenderer.com/materials/materials/1133

24 posts