Hot air

General discussion about Indigo Materials - material requests, material developement, feedback, etc..
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
Jambert
Indigo 100

Hot air

Post by Jambert » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:26 am

Hi all,
is there a way to simulate hot air to create mirage?
thx

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Re: Hot air

Post by StompinTom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:16 am

Yep:

- create a specular material with a slightly different IOR than air (0.9 or 1.1) and no absorption or scattering
- using ISL, modulate the density so that it's more like a cloud with no distinct edges (smoke)

The second step is the hardest part, of course, and I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that. That's how it would happen in real life, though, hot air has a different IOR than the cooler air around it therefore it refracts light differently. That, in addition to hot air moving like smoke (rising, influenced by wind, smoke dynamics), creates the shimmering, shifting mirage-like effect.

Jambert
Indigo 100

Post by Jambert » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:45 pm

The second step is the hardest part, of course, and I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that. That's how it would happen in real life, though, hot air has a different IOR than the cooler air around it therefore it refracts light differently. That, in addition to hot air moving like smoke (rising, influenced by wind, smoke dynamics), creates the shimmering, shifting mirage-like effect.
8)

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm not sure that Indigo will handle an IOR of 0.9... Negative square roots in perspective!

Aditionnally, a mirage is based on an IOR gradient, which is not actually doable in Indigo. It's maybe possible do get a similar effect, but this will be fully faked.

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:10 am

galinette wrote:I'm not sure that Indigo will handle an IOR of 0.9... Negative square roots in perspective!

Aditionnally, a mirage is based on an IOR gradient, which is not actually doable in Indigo. It's maybe possible do get a similar effect, but this will be fully faked.

Etienne
Someone who knows what he's talking about :D

Perhaps if volume textures were implemented, you could map an IOR range to a volume? So 'black' would be 1.0 and white 1.1...

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:31 am

IOR is currently not mappable, niet nada... although volume textures are implemented in other circumstances.

I wouldn't refuse the option !

The way I can imagine to fake that is to use a bumped volume with a low IOR, volume that would become thinner where you want less distortion. Like a prism or a blade. The other way is to generate various fume volumes with graduated ior and stack them with the proper precedences.

I haven't tested these methods yet. Again and as Galinette said, it's all fake :)
obsolete asset

FakeShamus

Post by FakeShamus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:30 am

...it's all fake :)
ha, all rendering is fake anyway ;)

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 am

FakeShamus wrote:
...it's all fake :)
ha, all rendering is fake anyway ;)
You are right, I tend to forget this because I'm biased by the company standards ;)
obsolete asset

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:32 am

No, stacking IORs would not be fake, it would be a finite elements approximation of the real physics. That's a quite good idea. Otherwise, modelling curved objects by triangles would also be called fake, whereas it's also a finite elements approximation

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:52 am

Understood, thanks Etienne.
obsolete asset

10 posts • Page 1 of 1