Spam

This forum is for discussing the Indigo Website, The community, its organization and the online tools/resources.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1
fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Spam

Post by fused » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:14 am

As some may have noticed there was lots of spam on these forums lately. Also there are 1599 user accounts with 2 or less postings (I'm not saying they are all spam profiles, but hey, look what happened back then. Why not do it again?)

I think something should be done. I don't know how hard it is to add a Captcha to the registration, but... it can't be that hard, right?

To "terminate with extreme prejudice" is a bit harsh i think, so maybe it would be better to deactivate all these accounts, so users will have to reactivate them(dunno if thats possible :S). all accounts that weren't reactivated after a month or two could then be deleted.

Ben, Nick, anyone?

jukka

Post by jukka » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:47 am

Actually, I believe there are quite a few Indigo users (like me) who read the forums regularly, but don't post. It's nice to be a registered user because the system tracks your visits and indicates the threads that contain new messages since your last visit. And since the system knows when you last visited, perhaps the admins could send an e-mail to everyone who hasn't logged in in the last 6 months or so and notify them of pending removal of their accounts. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Kram1032

Post by Kram1032 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:00 am

well, jukka, you've got 5 posts and not 2... so it wouldn't concern you, first of all...

and fused actually suggested such a phase. (Well, he didn't mention a mailed notification, though that should be included, too, I guess :))

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:49 am

Hey fused

If you can set up a procedure where people would be warned (30-60 days), then accounts eventually deactivated for say, 6 months before deletion, then you would have taken all necessary precautions I think.

If the procedure get's automated then unactive accounts would always be deleted if unactive after 9 months or so, admins can determine those delays.

But I think it's preferable to warn before any editing action.

ps: maybe add a sticky in General forum pointing to another into this one ?

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:55 am

CTZn wrote:ps: maybe add a sticky in General forum pointing to another into this one ?
im quite sure it was noticed by those who should have :)

5 posts • Page 1 of 1