SketchUp Fireplace

Tutorials/guides/tips on how to use Indigo and the Indigo exporters
Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: SketchUp Fireplace

Post by Zom-B » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:43 am

OnoSendai wrote:A note about the subdivision of the emitting quad: you only need to do this when the emitting part of the quad is a small fraction of the overall quad (like in Zom-b's flame texture). For Bub's image, subdivision probably isn't needed.
Sir, you are dead wrong!
If I understand the functionality behind your emitter calculation per polygon, even a 50% bright vs 100% bright area (like inside the fire) does make a difference!
bubs_fire_NO_subdiv.jpg
bubs_fire_subdiv.jpg
bubs wrote:I was convinced I couldn't see much difference during rendering with sub-div and not... thought I was going mad as there is clearly a big difference in Zom-B's test. This is good info to know!
Since the fireplace doesn't contribute much light into your scene the impact is quite low.
Use light Layresa and disable sun/sky to check the difference between in noise.
Last edited by Zom-B on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
polygonmanufaktur.de

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:51 am

Pibuz wrote:Some tests.
The scene is exactly the same: same objects, same materials (null emitter), same light settings, same resolution. Only thing changing is the subdivision of the flames' mesh, as indicated in the images.
Beware of Indigos SubDiv, since it has some pixel and angle threshold, that can Kick in here very nicely with your straight plane mesh! Use manual SubDiv instead!
Pibuz wrote:The best s/pixels and s/seconds rates are gained in the SUBD.10 test, although I think we get the cleanest result for subd.16.. what do you think?
the s/sec can be ignored absolutely as you can see in my first renderings (I told you to check out the info overlay :P ). without subdiv I get higher s/sec, but way more noise!!
Also render longer (+2min) since the noise clears super slow for none subdived emitter, so the difference is better to see if rendered a little longer!
polygonmanufaktur.de

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:57 am

Zom-B wrote:Beware of Indigos SubDiv, since it has some pixel and angle threshold, that can Kick in here very nicely with your straight plane mesh! Use manual SubDiv instead!
You mean like..modeler (sketchup) subdivision? such as manually subdividing the mesh?

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:04 am

Pibuz wrote:You mean like..modeler (sketchup) subdivision? such as manually subdividing the mesh?
esattamente!
Here you see my subdiv of the mesh:
subdiv.jpg
Here an example of a animation frame where such optimizations are game changer, because the most light is from such torches:
crytec_sponza_frame000051.jpg
polygonmanufaktur.de

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:11 am

Oh God, ok! I wouldn't ever even think about it...
Testing...

20 posts