Page 1 of 1

Where's SkIndigo 1.0.9? Blame it on Vista...

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:44 pm
by Whaat
I officially hate Windows Vista. I haven't released SkIndigo 1.0.9 because I have not been able to get preview renders to work. The strangest thing was that previews would work with SkIndigo 1.0.9 if it was used with Indigo 1.0.8. However, it would no longer work when used with Indigo 1.0.9 (stable). When used with Indigo 1.0.9, Indigo would throw an error message. For example, see this thread:

http://www.indigorenderer.com/joomla/fo ... php?t=3988

The strange thing was that SkIndigo was writing the preview material to the file 'previewmats.igs' without error, but when I opened the file 'previewmats.igs', it contained a very old version of the file (obviously not the one that was just written).

Anyway, the whole thing is extremely confusing and I have only scratched the surface of describing the problem.

So what was the problem? Windows Vista Compatibilty file system! Has anyone else ran into this type of problem? For some reason (still unbeknownst to me), Windows Vista was writing the file 'previewmats.igs' to a 'VirtualStores' directory and Indigo 1.0.9 was obviously was not looking for the file there. (For some reason, Indigo 1.0.8 was able to find the file there :? )

Does anyone understand why this would happen?

How do I prevent this from happening on other users computers?


This is one of the most bizarre and frustrating issues I have ever come across. I only figured it out 'by chance' when I finally noticed the 'View Compatibility Files' button in Windows Explorer.

Thanks Microsoft for another stupid 'feature' to make our lives so much easier!

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:56 pm
by OnoSendai
Sketchup might be running in Windows XP compatibility mode.
Right click on the sketchup .exe and see if u can spot something like that.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:11 pm
by Whaat
OnoSendai wrote:Sketchup might be running in Windows XP compatibility mode.
Right click on the sketchup .exe and see if u can spot something like that.
Thanks but that's not it. Maybe the Ruby API is somehow running in Windows XP mode...I don't know.

Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 pm
by OnoSendai
What path are you writing previewmats.igs to?
Perhaps you need to write to a path you have full write access to (perhaps something in the user directory, or perhaps the system temp directory?)

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:55 am
by cpfresh
it gets written to <sketchup install folder>\Plugins\SkIndigo\

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:07 pm
by OnoSendai
That could be a problem if sketchup is installed in 'program files'.

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:53 pm
by Whaat
OnoSendai wrote:That could be a problem if sketchup is installed in 'program files'.
...which it is ...

Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:13 pm
by OnoSendai
Try writing the mat preview scene to the system temp or user home dir.

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:06 am
by cpfresh
any updates Whaat? :|

Re: Where's SkIndigo 1.0.9? Blame it on Vista...

Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:56 pm
by ropel
Windows Vista Compatibilty file system! ...
Does anyone understand why this would happen?
How do I prevent this from happening on other users computers?


As I know, Vista doesn't let anyone but Administrator to write directly in c:/program files.
I personally resolved the problem disabling UAC (user access control) and giving administrator privileges to my login account. Doing this way "VirtualStore" will not be used again.
Another option is, obviously, to install both Sketchup and Indigo in a different directory than c:/program files.
I've tested other solutions to this problem, but nothing else is 100% fail proof.

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:46 pm
by Whaat
Thanks, ropel. I was able to solve the problem by writing the preview file to a directory that is not in c:/program files.

Posted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:47 am
by kwistenbiebel
Hi Whaat,

I am having a minor issue.
Sometimes I model on my laptop (vista 32 bit) and move the file to my desktop (Mac Pro vista 64 bit) for rendering.
The desktop has Indigo 64 bit installed..
When I open the model with the MacPro and try to render it, I need to reassign the metal materials because it can't find the .nk data.

Any way to overcome this?

Regards,
Kwistenbiebel