August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Discussion forum for the bi-monthly Indigo Competition.
156 posts
fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Re: August 2012 Competition - Materials & Lighting

Post by fused » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:20 am

dcm wrote:Please, post correct OBJs.
It is a correct obj. Not sure what else to say. Somehow Max and Maya seem to have the worst obj importer possible?

Imported fine into Meshlab, c4d, blender and a few others.

I agree on 3ds being a horrible format. What format would you like instead? Would an FBX help you?

Pibuz
1st Place 100
3D Software: SketchUp

Post by Pibuz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 am

Hey guys!
I wanted to share with you some changes.
I finally gave my girfriend idea a shot, with the substitution of the white rectangular table with a round and dark one. I must say it does convince me a lot more. You know..girls are always right. Bummer.

I removed the bookshelf from the left (it actually made the room A LOT smaller, added a bookshelf on the front wall under the half-circular window, played a little with the counch and its cushions. I also changed the camera angle, and I'm playing (better said: arguing) with the carpet, and an old portion of fur that the mythical Bertrand Benoit shared on his blog some time ago. You cannot see that because I changed the path to the external OBJ and it obviously didn't show up in the render........... :-/

I have to work more on the material of the round table, and make some props to spread around.
Attachments
im1346000966.jpg

dcm

Post by dcm » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 am

fused wrote:
dcm wrote:Please, post correct OBJs.
It is a correct obj.
i imported thousands of objs and never had problem, nevermind. if its correct, sorry. im taking back.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:48 am

@Pibuz It gives the surface more value, nice improvements.

How about the FBX format guys ? Collada ? ?

FoXar

Post by FoXar » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 pm

@ Pibuz, nice improvements! The room is getting a lot better right now, maybe change the camera a bit in focal length so you can see the bottom of the chairs. Very nice white floor material! I also had this idea but stepped off from it as I'd have too much white in my scene.. Loving the bookshelf though! Always spices up a scene ;)
Cheers,
Roo Evans

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:21 pm

Cool Pibuz!

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:06 am

Pibuz wrote:Hey guys!
I wanted to share with you some changes.
Whoa... I quit.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:51 am

HEI HEI HEI don't be silly Voytech. This is far from being perfect, and I remember I saw some wonderful images by you some time ago, and I'm very excited to see more coming.

To tell the truth, I thought to see much more wips in here, where I could steal some ideas :P

Headroom
Indigo 100

Post by Headroom » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Some very nice entries. For the next competition I'll provide a model of my house and let you guys have at it! Not nearly as interesting as its cookie cutter southern American. But then, that would be the challenge ;-)

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:05 pm

That isn't a bad idea at all.

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Ok, some more changes, but still WIP.
I'm starting to think it's REEEEALLY time for me to update my hardware...........

BTW, changed the curtains (I didn't like the modern ones) but not satisfied with the material; added the carpet straws, another plant in the background, a postpro test of the background outside the window, changed a little the table material.

Next changes will imply the left part of the image, around the tall spun light (I don't like it to have a dark background, maybe adding a semi-closed white door..), and mainly the part over the carpet, which is now too empty. Also, I should find a way to make the left part of the ceiling more appealing (now the lighting makes it too flat..).

BTW, this is the wip
Attachments
im1346079748.jpg

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Loving your images so far Pibuz, last one coming along very nicely. You beat me to the bookshelf idea...

As for myself, I wasn't initially planning on entering, and just about to delete the file from my PC, but found myself magically playing around with the (rather messy) OBJ in Max over the weekend. Don't know what it is, but there is/are some things in the scene that are seriously detrimental to performance. Ended up deleting all the furniture and rebuilding the walls and windows.

I hope the change I have made to the detail under the arch window (adding the radiator cover) and the column (bookshelf) is permitted..

Would I be able to remove the detailing at the top of the column in addition?

Everything else other than the Mac and the interior space (obviously) modelled by myself.

Not so pleased with the render performance, 19 hours for this one at 375K+ (Core i7) but very noisy. I tried to compensate with this by setting SuperSample to 4. Scene eats up 8GB of RAM now though :(. I have got Saint-Gobain glass on the windows, and SSS on the blinds, Possibly a factor?

Worth a shot I thought, so here is my interior in progress...

Going to scour the web for some more kids objects to model.. :)
Attachments
Indigo_Competition___August_2012__4-apx400CD_9300_postpro_combined.jpg

Pibuz
1st Place 100

Post by Pibuz » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Hey king! I really like the kids' room idea, and the nice fresh feeling you're setting up!
tar_gniK wrote: Everything else other than the Mac and the interior space (obviously) modelled by myself.
..as opposed to me! Anything in my scene is modeled by me (except some small things) !!!! :D :D :D

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Looks good!
tar_gniK wrote:I have got Saint-Gobain glass on the windows, and SSS on the blinds, Possibly a factor?
See rendering tips in the first post :)

tar_gniK
3D Software: 3ds Max

Post by tar_gniK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:53 pm

@ Pibuz - yeah, I know what you mean, but as the saying goes "If you want something done properly.." and all that... :D

@ Fused - thanks for the pointer -- I did look at that before, but removing the windows seems to alter the mood of the shot quite a lot, I get like a very sterile light from the HDRI that I am using. I'll change to Sun/Sky and see what that does.

156 posts