Page 1 of 5
XSI2Indigo
Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:33 am
by rgigante
Hi guys,
as promised, i've started the dev't of XSI2Indigo, the first XSI plugin to provide a comfortable interface for Indigo. I'm goin to implement the UI and i'd like to receive from any XSI user's(or not) suggestion regards the UI layout or anything else to make it useful.
Thanks in advance, Riccardo.
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:22 pm
by Bullseye
Hi Riccardo, I for one would be interested in an XSi version.
I get time everynow, I'd love to test your exporter
I'm sure theres others out there as well, I know a couple of guys
that have been after Maxwell for XSI, this could be better or the next best thing
cheers
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:41 am
by rgigante
Hi Bullseye,
at the moment i'm trying to solve a little problem to correctly handle indigo's material inside XSI. For now i've created a CustomPP to manage indigo's materials linked to polymesh objects, but i'm not satisfied at all. What i do really like to achieve is a CustomPP added to the material not to the object.
Hope to give you as soon as possible more updates.
Thanks in advance for your support.
Regards, Riccardo.
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:31 pm
by Bullseye
Hi Riccardo,
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I guess the best would be
to have a completely new material for Indigo and not worry about
XSI materials (phongs,blinns), well it would be good to still use the fractals, etc...
you can contact me off list on "bullseye at Shazzamstudios dot com"
Let me know when your ready
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:33 am
by scaron
rgigante contact me off line too..
i have been working on my plugin "x2indigo" off and on for a few months. i work in production so i get little time. but i know xsi very well along with its SDK would be happy to collaborate with you on this
steven
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:45 am
by rgigante
I'm glad to hear you scaron.... and happy to see someone interested in the project.
Actually my development isn't fast at all due to other things i'm going to handle, but I hope, in the very next days, to write down some details on my implementation to share with you and bullseye.
Regards, Riccardo.
Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:40 am
by Macphisto
Hi... I'm interested too for a XSIexporter

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:13 am
by rgigante
Hi all,
just to keep you up-to-date...here's a lil screenshot of the indigo exporter implementation status.
http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3075 ... pharc0.jpg
At the mom, i'm struggling with vertex normal, node normal...and other stuff related to geometry mesh creation...The fact is that is not as straightforward as it has been in Rhino...
Since i don't use Maya neither Blender nor Cinema4D nor Max, i kindly ask you to provide me a very simple indigo scene with a cube (2x2x2) a Cone(r=1 and height= 4) and a sphere (r=2) done with the other exporters..
Thanks in advance for your help, Riccardo
P.S. Scaron, please be patiente, i'm trying to write down some ideas to discuss on..
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:52 am
by Bullseye
Cool Ricardo,
Thanks for the screen grab, keep it up

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:50 pm
by rgigante
Hi all,
norms are now ok. I'm going to implement clusters and uv.
More news to come.
Hope to release soon an alpha version.
Thanks for the support.
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:50 am
by rgigante
Hi all,
clusters, multiple-uv property now working properly
I'd like to receive your feedback regard the way I should translate coordinate system from XSI into Indigo...since we'r used to think to XSI XZ plane as standard XY.
Do u want me to keep all the coordinates exactly the same
(XSI.X -> Indigo.x; XSI.y -> Indigo.y; XSI.Z -> Indigo.z)
or switch XSI coord to a more confortably coords sys that resamble how we are used to work?
(XSI.Z -> Indigo.x; XSI.X -> Indigo.y; XSI.Y -> Indigo.z)?
Any suggestion appreciated.
Regards, Riccardo.
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:26 am
by arneoog
We have that problem in the Maya exporter too...
I think the solution is rotating everything -90 degrees in the X axis
Not sure... But maybe someone else could help?
hmm......
I don't like Indigo's Z as up stuff..
Why is Z up anyway? Y is what's used in maths...
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:49 am
by rgigante
Arneoog...well i think "animation"-oriented stuff use to refer to Z as the vector forwarding out of the screen... this is an old-reminescence of first 3d softs.
Instead alot of CAD tools (as Rhino, CATIA, and AutoCAD too, prolly MAX too) use the Z axis as the axis pointing to the sky...
It's only a coord-sys convention...no more...both are right-handed...so let's check what the folks prefer...
Thx, Riccardo.
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:41 pm
by rgigante
rgigante wrote:Hi all,
clusters, multiple-uv property now working properly
I'd like to receive your feedback regard the way I should translate coordinate system from XSI into Indigo...since we'r used to think to XSI XZ plane as standard XY.
Do u want me to keep all the coordinates exactly the same
(XSI.X -> Indigo.x; XSI.y -> Indigo.y; XSI.Z -> Indigo.z)
or switch XSI coord to a more confortably coords sys that resamble how we are used to work?
(XSI.Z -> Indigo.x; XSI.X -> Indigo.y; XSI.Y -> Indigo.z)?
Any suggestion appreciated.
Regards, Riccardo.
Heya all... any feedback???
Thx, R.
PS XSI2Indigo performs 1000000 tris in 15min on a P4 2GHz
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:51 am
by Bullseye
HI Ricardo,
I'd keep it the same as XSI, I don't think it matters to much.
cheers