Houdini plugin

Announcements, information, requests and support regarding other exporters and general/new exporters
12 posts • Page 1 of 1
Techie

Houdini plugin

Post by Techie » Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 am

Hi,

Are there any plans for a fully integrated Houdini plugin?
Intel i7 930 2.8 GHz | 24 GB | GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 6 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Houdini FX 18 | http://techie.se

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Re: Houdini plugin

Post by Zom-B » Thu May 12, 2016 2:59 am

At the moment you can only use houdini via C4D connection, but I could imagine that C4D viewport is a bitch with intens simulations :/
No idea about exporter plans, but afaik it isn't that easy to find capable exporter writers...
polygonmanufaktur.de

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat May 21, 2016 12:14 am

Historically, with its freeware origins, it has always been exporters writers coming to Indigo with a solution for their host application.

I used to push users with requests such as yours to find willing developers in THEIR community (Houdini). They'd be welcomed !
obsolete asset

Techie

Post by Techie » Wed May 25, 2016 4:25 am

@Zom-B: Yeah I guess that's the only way for now.

@CTZn: Ah ok but what about the Revit plugin, isn't that developed by Glare? Also I wouldn't mind paying extra for a Houdini plugin if it meant it would be continually updated. And now that Houdini Indie 15.5 supports 3rd party renderers it's a nice opportunity to make a plugin for it.
Intel i7 930 2.8 GHz | 24 GB | GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 6 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Houdini FX 18 | http://techie.se

tokyomegaplex

Post by tokyomegaplex » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:10 am

I know a few people who would be super interested in a Houdini plugin happening. There is no development currently I am guessing?

jiversen

Post by jiversen » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm

I wrote a prototype plugin some years ago for Indigo for Houdini but couldn't find the time to make it anything useful. If the Indigo guys want to get into a broadening market, there is an industry turn toward writing open source USD/Hydra render delegates these days. (see PrMan, 3delight/OpenNSI and so on)

Has any thought been put forward toward doing this?

sger

Post by sger » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:25 am

I am interested

hi

Ascensi
3D Software: iClone

Post by Ascensi » Sun May 31, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm very interested in this.. I'm surprised Indigo team hasn't jumped on this.. with all the amazing content that's created with Houdini the artists here using Indigo could submit to a gallery on the website showcasing what could be done - you know generate more interest in Indigo, get more customers =growing team =faster development.

Octane became big fairly quickly because they developed a plugin for almost every major 3D Industry/toolset but they are limiting themselves with overpricing and not allowing the purchase of individual plugins.

I think the smart way to cut into the market is make a plugin that supports all the major brands and when people buy it that you don't limit them to a plugin brand like Maya or Max, or Houdini etc you allow them the freedom to plugin to any of them - a plugin is a plugin. So getting speed and all the essentials for rendering is good but please jump into a universal plugin to all the major industries and it would most likely guarantee customers purchasing upgrades to support the advances of their 3D applications.

I'd also like to add that you could charge more for render nodes because people will need them for large renderings but mostly people will want the basics to render out their portfolio first and advance from there.
Last edited by Ascensi on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corew2020

Post by corew2020 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:20 pm

jiversen wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:31 pm
I wrote a prototype plugin some years ago for Indigo for Houdini but couldn't find the time to make it anything useful.

what kind of prototype, how does it work?

jiversen

Post by jiversen » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:05 pm

The prototype I wrote was SOHO-based (the python rendering interface inside of Houdini) and could translate most Indigo entities okay. Well, Indigo as it was like a decade ago or something. I never tried it at any high scale, I'll be honest.

However, these days it would seem that the Indigo guys could consider writing a USD Hydra Render Delegate and thus slip into Houdini Solaris and several other places -- in fact, wherever Hydra delegates are supported (Katana/Maya/etc), which seem to be in more and more places each year. Hydra delegates are C++ and intended to be scalable and fast, and it's under constant improvement by Pixar.

schwungsau

Post by schwungsau » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:06 am

simple exporter for houdini should be simple but why bother, you just can use blender as an exporter?

a deeper integration into houdini would much better.

hydra makes for future, current solaris is still far away for usable rendertool.

tokyomegaplex

Post by tokyomegaplex » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:28 am

would still love to have a hydra delegate!

12 posts • Page 1 of 1