Rhino exporter... Again

Announcements, information, requests and support regarding other exporters and general/new exporters
hcasmussen

Rhino exporter... Again

Post by hcasmussen » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 am

Rhino for Mac is in development and the Rhino community is growing. This could create the basis for a Kickstarter project to create an exporter for Rhino. I do not have the neccesary skills to do this but maybe somove out there has?

Just a proposal.

Hans

:D

Blazko

Re: Rhino exporter... Again

Post by Blazko » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:28 am

hcasmussen wrote:Rhino for Mac is in development and the Rhino community is growing. This could create the basis for a Kickstarter project to create an exporter for Rhino. I do not have the neccesary skills to do this but maybe somove out there has?

Just a proposal.

Hans

:D
Yes, that is a very good idea!
This renderer is amazing, I use it whit Blender, but my main modelling software is Rhinoceros and I would love to see an Indigo exporter for this program. I had already tried exporting 3d scenes from Rhinoceros via Blender, but in the end I always had lots of bugs, so I'm not really satisfied. My question is: is there a way I can help with developing such exporter?

Pandekage

Post by Pandekage » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:13 am

I'm just going to pop in and say that I use Sketchup and am learning Rhino, and the only thing holding me back is the lack of a good renderer for Rhino. Well, there probably is, but why do you think I'm here? Indigo for Rhino (Rhindigo...heh, got a ring to it) would be great.

fused
Developer
3D Software: Cinema 4D

Post by fused » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 am

Blazko wrote:Yes, that is a very good idea!
This renderer is amazing, I use it whit Blender, but my main modelling software is Rhinoceros and I would love to see an Indigo exporter for this program. I had already tried exporting 3d scenes from Rhinoceros via Blender, but in the end I always had lots of bugs, so I'm not really satisfied. My question is: is there a way I can help with developing such exporter?
Sorry for the very late approval of your post, Blazko :)

henrib

Post by henrib » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:01 am

Tired to launch Sketchup after a crash...
Any chance to use a Rhino exporter ? :D

Henri

Oscar J
1st Place Winner
3D Software: Blender

Post by Oscar J » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:51 am

I want this!

Don't underestimate Rhino's user base - this is many product designers favourite software.

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:36 am

Oscar J wrote:Don't underestimate Rhino's user base - this is many product designers favorite software.
Yes it is, but I hate the shity meshes I get out of it to work in C4D. There is always the need for some clean ups and fixes... well, maybe the artists who provides me stuff just works sloppy ^^

Anyway, Rhino has quite some professional community! Arion and Octane have Rhino exporters too, but as long as there is no "outsourced" developer working on such a project, I suggest the Devs focus on some polishing of the actual exporters...
There is no need for another Exporter that is years in development without becoming work ready at some point :?

Thats my 0.02$
polygonmanufaktur.de

zeitmeister
2nd Place 100

Post by zeitmeister » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 am

Otherwise:
Regarding the massive competitors, Octane, arion, Maxwell etc. a spreading of a renderer simply lives of good exporters.
So i agree with Oscar:
Don't underestimate the rhino userbase.

Grüsse, zeiti
Cheers, David

DAVIDGUDELIUS // 3D.PORTFOLIO
·
Indigo 4.4.15 | Indigo for C4D 4.4.13.1 | C4D R23 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | Windows 10 Professional x64

Zom-B
1st Place 100

Post by Zom-B » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:44 am

I also think that having more exporters would be AWESOME, don't get me wrong!
But history showed us that regarding Exporter development, Indigo has a past (present?!) without glory.
Octane has 15 (!!1!) Exporters with another one in development. No Idea what state of quality they have, but you get the point...
polygonmanufaktur.de

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:19 pm

Zom-B wrote:
Oscar J wrote:Don't underestimate Rhino's user base - this is many product designers favorite software.
Yes it is, but I hate the shity meshes I get out of it to work in C4D. There is always the need for some clean ups and fixes... well, maybe the artists who provides me stuff just works sloppy ^^

Anyway, Rhino has quite some professional community! Arion and Octane have Rhino exporters too, but as long as there is no "outsourced" developer working on such a project, I suggest the Devs focus on some polishing of the actual exporters...
There is no need for another Exporter that is years in development without becoming work ready at some point :?

Thats my 0.02$
Rhino has one of the best (if not the best) nurbs > mesh tesselation support and can do it on the fly during exporting. I do not know any better software in this price range for working with nurbs, it is only outperformed by CAD software such as Catia or Solidworks which cost a few more 0s

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

Voytech

Post by Voytech » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:08 am

Although I'm not a Rhino user myself, it is used extensively in my company to create 3d models from point clouds (laser scanned buildings). The ability to take that model directly to indigo would be nice, but my current workflow of converting Rhino to 3ds and then importing into Indigo is OK.

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:22 am

galinette wrote: Rhino has one of the best (if not the best) nurbs > mesh tesselation support and can do it on the fly during exporting. I do not know any better software in this price range for working with nurbs, it is only outperformed by CAD software such as Catia or Solidworks which cost a few more 0s
I've never been able to export a satisfactory mesh from Rhino, except for the simplest of things. Moment of Inspiration has much cleaner meshing, unless I am missing something very basic in Rhino?

Perhaps I should PM you about a quick Rhino meshing / exporting tutorial? :D

galinette
1st Place Winner

Post by galinette » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:01 am

StompinTom wrote:
galinette wrote:Perhaps I should PM you about a quick Rhino meshing / exporting tutorial? :D
Why not... I'm more familiar with rhinopython meshing though.

And on the other hand, rhino is quite poor for dealing with meshes once they are there. It's really meant to be used for nurbs only, converted to meshes by the exporter/renderer

Etienne
Eclat-Digital Research
http://www.eclat-digital.com

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:11 am

galinette wrote:
StompinTom wrote:
galinette wrote:Perhaps I should PM you about a quick Rhino meshing / exporting tutorial? :D
Why not... I'm more familiar with rhinopython meshing though.

And on the other hand, rhino is quite poor for dealing with meshes once they are there. It's really meant to be used for nurbs only, converted to meshes by the exporter/renderer

Etienne
How do you mesh your models with Python? I took a look and couldn't find any scripts / plug-ins for that... I assumed the only meshing happened when you export or convert to mesh?

StompinTom
Indigo 100

Post by StompinTom » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:14 am

Are there any docs for the .igmesh format + any good libraries for writing XML files in C#?

Shouldn't be that difficult - perhaps just tedious - to make a simple exporter to .igs and .igmesh from Rhino and launch Indigo. Where it could get cool is to integrate it into Rhino, i.e. using its frame buffer + controlling directly from Rhino. I've taken a look at the SDK, just have to get my head into it.

I don't have much spare time, but I may take a crack at it.

27 posts