MtI 3.6

Announcements, requests and support regarding the MAYA exporter
CTZn

MtI 3.6

Post by CTZn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 am

the latest 3.6 MtI is 3.6.17: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/dow ... p?id=16958

obsolete below
Attachments
mti_3.6.5.zip
The new materials will not work with Indigo 3.6.4, get 3.6.5 !
(280.46 KiB) Downloaded 7464 times
obsolete asset

ior

Re: MtI 3.6

Post by ior » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 am

Thanks for the update.

It seem that with a new scene the moving pivot problem at render time persist.

Can you look at this using the scene I sent you?

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:38 am

Expectedly merging the rotate and scale pivots should fix the issue, I will seek for an eventual limitation around those lines.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:26 am

How do I merge the pivots? I can center pivots but that will change the original pivot location.

when I center pivot, it solves the problem for a while, but after some renders it messes with the pivots again, it happen if you render the scene many times.

CTZn, in that scene with the moving sphere at render time, there must be something wrong with MtI for it to change the sphere position, even if the sphere pivot is at million kilometers away (it is at this distance because of MtI?), it should not change the position of the sphere.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 am

In the context of your scene, by merging the pivots I meant setting the local scale pivot and world scale pivot, to the local rotate pivot and world rotate pivot respectively, in the Attribute Editor, transform tab, Pivots section, Local Space and World Space sub-sections.

I haven't checked on this yet, will do next.

While your scene might be pointing at something relevant MtI has changed in how objects are manipulated during export (they are indeed). It is probable that MtI has historically been moving pivots/objects (as saved in your scene ?) but I'd expect this to be fixed for quite some time.

When the sphere has moved, please check in the Script Editor for an error during export.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:45 am

Ok, didn't know that.

Now I really saw world scale pivot moving as I render the scene. First I have put the world scale and rotate pivots at the same location and then I rendered the scene, after the render the y world scale pivot has changed.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:47 am

aw you got me.

I mean to fix rigid skins for animation anyways, I suspect this may lead to that.

btw, the Maya way to set the scale pivot to the rotate pivot in the viewport is to:

- display the rotate pivot (AE > Pivots > Display Rotate Pivot),
- press "r" to switch to the scale tool,
- holding the "d" (edit pivot) and "v" (snap to vertex/point) keys, middle drag over the rotate pivot.
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:43 am

It seems that MtI does not support constrains. Export freezes if there is a constrain in the scene.
That is bad for me because the animation I am doing needs constrains and I cannot export it.
Please add constrains to MtI.

Any progress on the moving pivots?

It should be nice to have a page with a list of what is supported by MtI that can be updated with each new version release.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 am

Constrains: I have never been looking into those for MtI, will do certainly !

Pivots: Nothing special has been done. The teapot/sss scene is scrapped, indeed because an old MtI version but I don't know how to fix it I'm sorry, the mistake is baked into the transform matrix probably. MtI has improved in this regard nearly two years ago and I haven't been observing moving pivots in a new scene ever since.

e: MtI has still got some weaknesses in regard with how Maya is placing objects in the scene, their matrix is not everything as it seems. There is therefore room for improvements but I'm lacking the knowledge immediately.

I will add such a page with supported features in the doc asap.

edit 2: a list of the changes done on my current working copy:

+ fixed Maya freezing when linking a material using comments in ISL
+ fixed redo previous render (and camera related errors)
+ fixed Editor UI for layeredTexture nodes.
+ fixed exponent conversion to roughness.
+ fixed coating thickness. User input is now effectively in micrometers instead of meters previously.
+ changed the pixel threshold to adapt to the final image sampling level. Previously the threshold was applied against the frame buffer size. (got to check again Indigo's behavior on this one)
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 pm

I had this problem with constrains so I went to something different.

I thought that maya was a little bit bugy and some stuff did not apparently seemed build the best way, then I tried max and blender.

Max was known to me long time ago with the basic stuff, but has passed many years. I tried to test it and do some things as I do with maya. It is really difficult to animate things compared to maya. And bugs appeared as well. Constrains do not appear to have a way to fine tune, when I do a constrain it stays as I did it and if I want to edit it I do not know the way to do it, or it is not possible.

I tried blender as well, It seems well built but it lacks of some functions to animate properly, like copy paste keys from what object I want. Moving objects to groups seems also difficult. Maybe I lack of knowledge.

Exporting scenes from maya to max and blender also did now work properly with animation. Maybe Okino Polytrans does the job, I must try that.

I wish that MtI got more attention so It can be more robust and we can use many features of maya that are not supported.

I simply do not understand why Indigo Is not better known, indigo is the best renderer (and I know It will be better), so It should have leverage to have more powerful tools regarding 3D apps integration like MtI.

ior

Post by ior » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:49 pm

Okino polytrans is very good!
I tried the demo and it really exports to max the anim as it should. But this is a demo version and it only exports the first 25 frames and I will not buy it for now.
Maybe in the future.
Too bad I have this anim stuck.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:46 pm

I agree that Indigo deserves better than MtI. My primary intention was only to get myself a mean to use Indigo with Maya. But with the programming concerns I left 3D creation behind and without the user base I'm ending quite disconnected.

If I'm not giving up this doesn't mean that I want to hold the position at all cost. Having earned less over the years than through a week of a full time job, I'm sure however that the proper product would sell better.

And because I am not giving up I have to place some hopes into support for baked animation, this may help.

Hopefully :)
obsolete asset

ior

Post by ior » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 am

I found a way of "baking the constrains" for MtI be able to render :)

I exported as fbx format and put constrains option off and bake animation option on and then import the file again in maya.

All problems solved.

Constrains should be available in MtI thought.

There is no option to bake constrain in maya but this method does the job.

ior

Post by ior » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:04 pm

After doing this, the scene did not render as well.

And I found out that groups inside of groups messes things with MtI and it freezes as well on export.

Another thing to fix.

CTZn

Post by CTZn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi ior,

I suggest that you use things that work for you.

I've tried hard and here we are, there's no will no more from me.

At this point I despise all my efforts with MtI, I'll feel better about it with some steps back.
obsolete asset

52 posts